Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Speeders's Common Sense Economy Mod (in dev)  (Read 25163 times)

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Speeders's Common Sense Economy Mod (in dev)
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2016, 10:40:25 AM »

From playing around with my mod I found out the problem with current economy, is that bottlenecks happen too easily...

For example if by coincidence all rare ore mines are not selling well, the entire economy goes bust, fuel and supplies first.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2016, 08:33:39 AM »

Which would explain the weirdness with prices....

Would it be worth comparing the current economy with that of a previous release? (Say 0.65.2)
The really out of sorts prices for fuel and supplies have only been something I've noticed since 0.7 came out, so it feels like *something* changed.

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2018, 07:33:43 AM »

So... version 0.9 came out, I was waiting for it thinking it owuld make my mod obsolete...

Instead its economy is ALSO wonky, in fact I think it is worse simulation wise... it is "kinda" easier to grasp and play in the game, but now oversupply and overdemand are both impossible, bottlenecks went from being too easy to happen to NEVER happen.

To the point AI factions have no fear of crippling the global economy when they shut down yours and each other colonies... there is no consequence for their own economy if they shut down the sole fuel producer for example.

So... anyone still want this mod? I am not sure if I tyr to mod 0.9 or not..

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2018, 07:51:41 AM »

I certainly wouldnt object. Economy has always been kinda rediculous, and you cannot possibly make it worse.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2018, 08:28:38 AM »

I am very, VERY rusty...

But reading the source makes me think the new economy is not too insane in the code... Lots of stuff I was creating for my mod is actually implemented in this version of the economy...

So what I need to fix is the "one supplier can supply everyone" issue... but I am not finding on the code where is that :(

Also I will need to come up with a formula... I can't just use the base formula because it is nuts, it is supposed that each unit is ten times the last but this would create some ridiculous situations... like biggest exporter of fuel is 9, second is 7, the biggest would have pratically 100% market share.

But current formula is not right either...

Seemly current formula is:

items*access of each supplier divided by the total... as such right now for example mining, that is tied to colony size, results in a colony size 3 reaching 33% of market share if the other supplier is size 6... and that doesn't look right either.

Kulverstukass

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2018, 09:29:51 AM »

Yes, please!
Current system went so damn virtual in this iteration, opposite extreme from 0.8.
Buckle up for broken english vocabulary, comrade!

code99

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2018, 10:42:14 PM »

+1 to this!

The way economy works right now is baffling to me ...

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2018, 05:00:45 AM »

The more I think about it... The more I conclude is needed to separate partially the industry from the planet population size...

The current scale is too extreme, the way Alex implemented the economy has this bizarre result:

1. He treats production-demand as the population scale... so large planets can sell to everyone.

2. But he treats PRICING in another scale... meaning tiny planets and get huge market shares and profits and attracts huge fleets...

3. But ship production is tied to your planet population... so you end with massive enemy fleets attacking tiny planets.

4. Then we have all the complications of that tied to the cargo...

------

The game has currently, nothing like the scale of the population, on the ships, the end-game fleets are NOT 10^7 times bigger in cargo space for example than your initial one...

Also currently population grows waaaaaaay too fast when considering its scale.

----

1. So I am thinking of removing from industries code the part where their production is tied to planet size.

2. I will treat industries as something you build regardless of population in a way, can a size 1 outpost be the biggest refinery? Well, why not? In real life it happens too, one-factory towns is a thing.

3. I will change the population growth system, including make easier to expand or shrink population by moving about "crew" to represent immigration and passengers, also later on see if I can spawn fleets made of liners to move immigrants about...

4. Demand will actually be important, I will make so that gamma cores are useful and so on, idea is that demand will have some kind of negative consequence...

5. What will prevent players from filling up all their planet slots, will be mostly demand, including demand for workers... bigger population sizes will produce more workers, so if you wanna make a gigantic ship factory on a tiny place, you will need importing lots and lots of workers.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]