Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Good Hammerhead Variants?  (Read 4018 times)

mumbasa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Good Hammerhead Variants?
« on: February 20, 2012, 03:44:40 PM »

Any suggestions on what to equip? I find the assault chainguns seem woefully underpowered against anything bigger than a lasher or a bufffalo-II. It seems like the main purpose of the hammerhead is anti-fighter and anti-frigate but it has next to nothing against larger ships. I use expanded missile racks and harpoon mrm's, but even then, thats on enough to take out 1 destroyer and most larger ships can absorb all the chaingun and pd I can muster...

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Good Hammerhead Variants?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 03:53:10 PM »

Any suggestions on what to equip? I find the assault chainguns seem woefully underpowered against anything bigger than a lasher or a bufffalo-II. It seems like the main purpose of the hammerhead is anti-fighter and anti-frigate but it has next to nothing against larger ships. I use expanded missile racks and harpoon mrm's, but even then, thats on enough to take out 1 destroyer and most larger ships can absorb all the chaingun and pd I can muster...
get rid of missiles add 2 hevy maulers add 10/10 flux/vents have fun...
(changing 2 turrets in the front to standard lasers helps)

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 03:53:13 PM »

If you're worried about taking down larger craft, then maybe drop the expanded missile racks mod and pick up atropos torpedoes. Wait till their shields are down, then ram a few of those up their tailpipe, see how that works. Personally, I've never had that much of an issue with the chainguns and harpoon MRM setup, although I do prefer to install antimatter blasters on the front two energy mounts.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

mumbasa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 12:31:43 PM »

I tried the AM blasters but there just wasn't enough flux to go around...

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 12:36:59 PM »

The Hammerhead in general has some pretty terrible flux capacity. You need to come in and out of engagement range a lot to vent. I'd say if you're going to run AM blasters, put a little into capacitors, and drop your shields sometimes. Not all the time, but sometimes-- the Hammerhead is pretty durable. That way, you can use all your flux to fire your weapons. Two rounds from AM blasters will put most destroyers into a state of real high flux, and after a few assault cannon rounds, they'll either be venting or overloaded and you can let your harpoons do the rest.

I flew the Hammerhead as my flagship all the way up until I caught myself an Odyssey, and that set up seems to work for me. If you do want a destroyer that can dish it out and take it, try one of the slower, tougher ones.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 12:46:02 PM »

... why but AM blasters on destroyers when u can mount em on shuttles?  :-\

cardgame

• Commander
  • Sonic Rainboom
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 12:47:59 PM »

Because they still dish out incredible damage to both shields and hulls.

ArthropodOfDoom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 04:11:38 PM »

I loved the Hammerhead as my flagship for a long time, but there just aren't enough of the ships to go around. 2x Heavy Maulers, 2x anti-armor missile of choice, and then 4x point defense of choice. That layout has enough to annoy frigate shields (PD lasers), enough to knock out frigates/other destroyers (anti-armor missile of choice), and the Heavy Maulers work wonders against destroyers and up to Venture-class ships. I think I took out some other kinds of cruisers as well, although I think I had some support in the form of a Lasher or other assault frigate.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 12:34:35 AM »

I fly the Hammerhead with 2 Sabots (linked), 2 Dual Heavy Machineguns (linked), and if possible 4 Burst Lasers (automated and linked), and Augmented Engines. It wipes the floor with frigates and weaker destroyers assuming they don't run away, and can cause serious distress to larger ships if I have support and am not utterly obliterated by frontal guns.

Sure, it's bad at actually taking out a ship, but shields are just obliterated very quickly if you fire all Sabots and fire the main guns, making your enemy prone to overloading or overloading them on the spot. Once they overload, they're generally in serious trouble if you're not by yourself.

The Augmented Engines are so it can actually get places, both in the campaign map and the combat map. It also makes it so you can get in close with your Sabots and just generally be fast.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:36:24 AM by Tarran »