Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: .7 just isn't fun ...  (Read 21090 times)

dis astranagant

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: .7 just isn't fun ...
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2015, 12:35:24 PM »

A good starting Lasher config: drop the missiles and blast doors for SO.  Find a face, get in said face, press f, melt face.

Cinth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2015, 12:43:09 PM »

Most definitely.  It's funny though, I'll be halfway to Jangala Station and get hit by back to back raids. It never fails when I'm way overloaded.

Murphy at work :)

Or an AI that knows when you're sleeping, an AI that knows when you're awake.  An AI that knows you slow as heck and looking like real good bait...

I just started a new game and it's set to 45 days.  It just seems to pass by really fast.  You have a lot to do in those 45 days.  Namely kill a lot of pirates, safely, and make about 40k credits (buy and kit a decent frigate and be able to resupply a few times).
Once you get a couple frigates, the difficulty curve levels out a bit (or it did in previous versions).

Yeah; part of the reason there are more pirate spawns in 0.7.1a. Have to be careful with that, though, because it can also make the fights harder.
[/quote]

FINALLY!

A 4v1 (with techy ships) dropped enough drugs that I could sell for about 50k.  Then I had to wait around for the Hegemony to restock and put frigates on the list.  A new Lasher and Wolf just waiting to be kitted out and added to the fleet.  It only took about 12 hours (off and on) and a lucky drop. 

Now maybe I can actually start playing the game   :D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2015, 12:44:29 PM »

A good starting Lasher config: drop the missiles and blast doors for SO.  Find a face, get in said face, press f, melt face.

brb nerfing

Spoiler
Just kidding, but wow, that's amazingly effective. Feels right for an SO ship, though - getting up close and personal, trading off armor damage for maximum damage dealt. Gets a bit too quick when skills come into play, but that's another issue.
[close]

FINALLY!

A 4v1 (with techy ships) dropped enough drugs that I could sell for about 50k.  Then I had to wait around for the Hegemony to restock and put frigates on the list.  A new Lasher and Wolf just waiting to be kitted out and added to the fleet.  It only took about 12 hours (off and on) and a lucky drop.  

Now maybe I can actually start playing the game   :D

Nice! Make a save copy, just in case :)

Cinth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2015, 12:55:52 PM »

FINALLY!

A 4v1 (with techy ships) dropped enough drugs that I could sell for about 50k.  Then I had to wait around for the Hegemony to restock and put frigates on the list.  A new Lasher and Wolf just waiting to be kitted out and added to the fleet.  It only took about 12 hours (off and on) and a lucky drop.  

Now maybe I can actually start playing the game   :D

Nice! Make a save copy, just in case :)

Done.  Just the long grind to get Hegemony rep up so I can get destroyers and cruisers.  Not sure If I want the Onslaught yet. 

dis astranagant

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2015, 01:02:17 PM »

A good starting Lasher config: drop the missiles and blast doors for SO.  Find a face, get in said face, press f, melt face.

brb nerfing

Spoiler
Just kidding, but wow, that's amazingly effective. Feels right for an SO ship, though - getting up close and personal, trading off armor damage for maximum damage dealt. Gets a bit too quick when skills come into play, but that's another issue.
[close]

Haha yeah, not a lot of things you're going to run into early on much care for 900 kinetic dps right up in their shields/crappy frigate armor.  Neatly sidesteps the usual Wolf on Wolf stalemates I keep getting dragged into early on.  I really like how you don't have to hope the markets throw you a bone with that setup, unlike most popular Wolf configs.

But really anything with Accelerated Ammo Feeder is going to be a brutal SO ship, they just mesh so well.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 01:26:55 PM by dis astranagant »

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2015, 01:35:36 PM »

Wolf + Heavy Blaster (from game start) or Mining Blaster (better) -> phase skim over enemy with them targeted -> shoot them in engines -> profit.

behrooz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2015, 04:18:01 PM »

I find that it helps with the early game to accept that the AI my plucky crewmen are better than I am at some most micro aspects of combat, not least shield micromanagement and targeting small/fast objects.  I haven't been a teenager since the 90's, and there are reasons that the youngsters are the ones with their itchy trigger fingers on the twitchy buttons.  Putting the ship in a tactical situation where my AI minions / auto-firing weapons groups can take care of business while I think about what we should be doing is my job.  Situation under control?  Autopilot algorithms My brave and experienced crew are handling it.  All of a sudden that Enforcer over there is venting/overloaded and needs a well-placed reaper?  BEWM, I'm on it.

I'm not a one-man armada, and that's OK.  I've got virtual minions for that, ignoring the strengths they contribute is a handicap I can't afford in an uncaring sector.   ;D

In my view, the changes from 0.7 are uniformly excellent, the AI feels much more capable all around and officer personalities are great, and the 0.7.1a changelog makes me feel even better about the prospects for being a senior lunatic officer making my way in the 'sector.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2015, 06:33:24 PM »

RFC? Which is that?

Ion cannon start I have to agree with. Many of the early enemies are unshielded, so it is quite effective, but you still have to watch out for early wolves, and I think the pirate shuttles as well.

How the blazes do you manage to use spinal-aimed weapons with such an arragement? The drift when rotating makes that impossible for me to manage.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

megalon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2015, 06:53:47 PM »

My 2 cents:  .7a is incredible, having tons of fun. I love the new mechanics and the depth this game is developing is really encouraging. I like the direction this is going.

There are some niggles and bugs for sure but hey, its an alpha.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2015, 06:59:06 PM »

RFC? Which is that?
Resistant Flux Conduits.  Provides slightly faster venting.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2015, 08:14:18 PM »

I just do it all with WASD.

I consider myself to be a good pilot. But this. This is an entirely different level altogether.
"On average, a human has one breast and one testicle"
- Vsauce, Michael here

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2015, 08:24:38 PM »

I'm more like 'keep moving or you're dead' so... no braking for me.
Anyways, I might try WASD control later.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2015, 10:31:56 PM »

When I'm piloting frigates I change the behavior so that "point to cursor" is the default and I have to press shift to turn. It makes lining up the spinal weapon on a wolf super easy. (Note: only on front shield ships!)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]