Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Questions about boarding  (Read 4748 times)

Muffalopadus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Questions about boarding
« on: February 16, 2012, 06:24:51 AM »

...basically, how does it work?! 

I'll sometimes be able to board fighters/bombers that escape...but sometimes I can't board them.  I've never yet been able to board anything bigger than a single person ship.  I've tried to be really careful about killing a ship, trying to leave it with as little hull as possible...but they'll stay aggro'ed and I'll be forced to blow up the ship.

So...halp!  I want to be able to capture bigger ships but I can't.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about boarding
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 07:03:40 AM »

its based on a behind the scenes algorithm basically you have a very small chance to be able to board anything that is not destryed during combat its just a lot of luck right now i would say.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Munchkin9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 11:39:16 AM »

I find that every time a fighter hulk remains it is boardable (almost every time anyway). Anything bigger, it either has to surrender or become board-able by luck, which is very rare.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 12:03:44 PM »

It's random. VERY random sometimes, haha.

EDIT: What I mean is, anything that is not outright destroyed has a chance to be boardable. I dunno if it's the same across the board or not, though. Just assumed. (shrug)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 12:09:20 PM »

It seems the more intact armor segments, the higher likelihood it will be boardable.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 12:21:44 PM »

It seems the more intact armor segments, the higher likelihood it will be boardable.

If true, this would be very important to know, hmm.   Interesting, that'd change optimal tactics a bit for sure.  Although, I suppose that it is always optimal to focus fire a small area of the armor.    ;D  lol
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Muffalopadus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 08:09:51 AM »

Hmm, have you actually tested this out?  That seems like a reasonable thing to have to watch for.

EDIT: What I mean is, anything that is not outright destroyed has a chance to be boardable. I dunno if it's the same across the board or not, though. Just assumed. (shrug)

Destroyed...like, when they blow up or when you shoot the wreckage too much?  I'm probably as confused as you are, lol.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:11:34 AM by Muffalopadus »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 08:28:30 AM »

I read in the manual that if your goal is to attack instead of holding ground then you have a higher chance to board enemy ships that retreat; I'm not sure about ones that are destroyed in battle.

http://www.fractalsoftworks.com/starfarer/docs/StarfarerManual.pdf

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 08:34:40 AM »

Destroyed...like, when they blow up or when you shoot the wreckage too much?  I'm probably as confused as you are, lol.

Destroyed meaning you shoot the wreckage too much. Anything that still has a hulk has a chance to be boarded, though it's supposedly very slight.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 08:38:24 AM »

Destroyed wrecks will visibly blow up in the field of battle

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 08:40:29 AM »

Wait, really? You've tested this?

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Kahabut

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 11:52:48 AM »

I did a rather lot of testing on this subject recently, and my findings are thus:  The only thing that really matters is the disposition of the enemy fleet.  If you attack, and they escape, any ship not in the fight when you win surrenders.  I got 3 onslaughts this way. 

As for actual boarding operations, I spent a few hours trying to kill stuff very softly.  Nothing seems to matter.  I tried not using missiles, I tried not using kinetics, I tried not using beams.  I tried focusing 100% of all fire into one spot on the ship.  I tried spreading the impacts all over the armor.  As best I can tell, if any of that has any effect, it's not a very big effect. 

One thing has popped up as interesting though, It appears that fighters and bombers that survive being disabled, but have only 1/3 their total ships left, are almost always boardable.  IE: Thunder bombers get disabled, but 1 of them isn't destroyed.  After the battle you have a superb chance of boarding this ship.  Which kinda makes sense.  If you were the pilot of a fighter, disabled and your carrier fleet is dead... you'd ask for a ride too. 

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 12:01:31 PM »

your relative fleet strength compared to the opponents factors into the after battle "surrender" chances. if your fleet is smaller or approximately the same power as your opponent then even if they were escaping before combat and retreated in combat and still had ships left to deploy you wont necessarily get a free ship after the battle.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.