Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: [0.7.2a] Freespace v0.2 (updated 2/11/17)  (Read 52200 times)

Stalker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
[0.7.2a] Freespace v0.2 (updated 2/11/17)
« on: November 30, 2015, 10:11:15 PM »

Some Lore...
Spoiler
The year is 2375. It seems like it was only a few years ago that the Shivans invaded again. Only a few years ago since we had to sacrifice Capella to satiate that devourer. Now, on the brink of reestablishing contact with our home world, it seems as though we're back where we started. Unrest in the outer colonial militias has led to to the rise of a new Terran rebellion, led by the few survivors of the old Neo-Terran Front. Our once-grand Terran fleet, preoccupied with guarding the last of humanity and our Great Work, has grown stagnant and complacent.

With the mysterious death of Khonsu II, even the Vasudan remnant has begun to pull away from our grand alliance to focus inward. So much for BETAC, eh?. In this vacuum has stepped, like a phoenix reborn, that old Vasudan cult: The Hammer of Light. All of this is awfully convenient, considering the reports coming in from the frontier for the past few months. I'm sure you've heard them... the rumors. If there's any truth to them, we've got a helluva lot more to worry about than putting down some rebels or recalcitrant Vasudans...

So, you still want to sign up?

- GTVA Recruiter Mickelsson, Antares Station, L1 Lagrange Point, Antares Prime
[close]

Freespace is a mod that will add 5 new factions to the campaign (3 primary, 2 "pirate"), three new star systems, missions, and a huge variety of new ships and weapons. All of these are pulled from the Freespace universe, and credit is due to the great work by the Freespace SCP Open teams, without whom this mod would not be nearly as pretty.

I hope to eventually build some next-generation ship sprites for each of these fleets, but for the initial major release I'm going to focus on just getting the recognizable ships from FS2 into place.

Click here to view extracts from the 2374 edition of Jane's Starship Guide, for FREE.
Spoiler

Earth, Earth, Earth... all the military seems to care about is Earth! Well, sorry to tell you lads, but Earth is gone. Lost forever. This side of the Sol node is all that is left of humanity, and you who stand before me are the last hope of that humanity, the harbingers of a new terran dawn. - Captain Isaac Richards to assembled supporters, just prior to the Delphi Incident

Hercules (Heavy Fighter)

Hercules Mark II (Heavy Fighter)
Spoiler
The refresh of the venerable Great War-era heavy fighter, the "Herc Deuce", as most of her pilots call her, is a very capable front-line combatant. Although it has less primary firepower than its predecessor, the Deuce' brings a heavy load of missiles into every fight. Bombers and small capital ships fear the firepower of these heavy-hitters.

Standard Loadout
2 Subach HL-7
2 Prometheus R
2 Hornet Missiles
[close]

Ursa (Heavy Bomber)

Fenris (Cruiser)

Aeolus (Heavy Cruiser)

Deimos (Corvette)
Spoiler
No longer fresh off the assembly line, the Deimos-class Corvettes served admirably in the fight against the NTF and in the final Shivan encounter. These ships are fast for their size, well-armored, and covered with beam cannons and anti-fighter defenses. These ships remain the core of the Terran fleet, however they are now more expensive to maintain, due to their Vasudan-designed reactors.

Loadout
4 Terran Light Beam Cannons
4 Anti-Fighter Beam Cannons
3 Dual Heavy Pulse Cannons (3 Medium Hybrid Turrets)
6 Pulse Cannons
2 Anti-Fighter Missile Launchers
[close]

Charybdis (AWACS)

***IMPOSSIBLE!!!*** - Final transmission of the diplomatic transport Khorusal, on a mission to convey Emperor Khonsu II to a meeting of the GTVA Security Council. The Khorusal was destroyed, with all hands lost. Investigations are ongoing.

Serapis (Interceptor)

Sobek (Corvette)
Spoiler
Just barely losing out to the Hatsetphut for title of "Pride of the Vasudan Fleet", the Sobek is almost ubiquitous now in Vasudan battlegroups. Don't let its smaller size fool you. Faster and less well-armored than the Deimos, the Sobek's heavier beam cannons give it an edge against other capital ships and its concentrated anti-fighter beams can cause no end of problems to attacking fighters and bombers.

Loadout
2 Vasudan Light Beam Cannons
4 Anti-Fighter Beam Cannons
2 Heavy Pulse Cannons
4 Pulse Cannons
2 Flak Guns
[close]

We have nothing to fear from the Shivans. They either all died, or left, or whatever happened in Capella. That's practically ancient history now. - Overheard in the Officer's Club of the GTD Capella.

Astaroth (Interceptor)

Mara (Heavy Fighter)

Moloch (Corvette)
Spoiler
CLASSIFIED LEVEL RHO BY ORDER OF GTA SECURITY COUNCIL

Loadout
3 Shivan Beam Cannons
2 Flak Guns
4 Shivan Lasers
2 Cluster Missile Launchers
[close]

Demon (Destroyer)

Would you like to know more? Subscribe to Jane's Starship Guide today, and get a 25% discount on your next Fleet Store purchase!
[close]

Change Log
v0.2 (2/11/17)
- Updated for compatibility with SS v0.7.2a
- Added Nexerelin compatibility
- Switched from ShaderLib to GraphicsLib
- Fixed a crash bug with the Piranha clusterbomb
- Cleaned up and fixed up sector and planet generation code

v0.1 (12/21/15)
- Initial Release.

Credits
Stalker - Making all the things work together
The Freespace SCP Teams - For their permission in using renders of their beautiful HTL models.
Special thanks to the makers of Blackrock Driveyards, SCY, Templars, and Interstellar Imperium for code inspiration.
Thanks to Tartiflette for his Radioactive Code Dump slashing beams. I'm glad I didn't have to figure that out myself.

Design Philosophy/Other Notes
Spoiler
  • Lore-wise, the three Freespace factions are being dropped in to the Corvus system via an accident with a subspace portal. Their planetary systems now open up to the Corvus system.
  • Terrans are neutral with almost everyone. The Hegemony casts a wary eye in their direction, as they don't want competition for governance of the sector. Besides, the Terrans bring with them technologies and expertise that could bring new life to the sector, and that endangers the Hegemony's control over the populace.

Some Terran ships have limited compatibility with Corvus sector weapons systems. The Terrans have opened up their ship and weapons manufacturing on a limited basis to denizens of the sector.

The Terrans are plagued by a small force of New Terran Dawn rebels. These rebels find much opportunity in their new location within the Corvus sector, and are making concerted efforts to align all the pirate tribes under their leadership.

Terran capital ships focus on an overall distribution of firepower around the ship, with a heavy emphasis on anti-fighter defenses. Terran fleets tend to rely on their fighters and bombers to soften up opposing capital ships, before their beam cannons come in to play.
  • Vasudans are allied with the Terrans, but everyone else distrusts them due to their alien nature. The Vasudans hope that trade will encourage new alliances, so they have almost fully opened their shipbuilding and weapons manufacturing up to the sector, only keeping a few of their higher-tech ships under wraps.

No Vasudan ships have been made compatible with Corvus sector weapons systems yet.

The Vasudans find themselves dealing with the resurgence of the Hammer of Light, a Shivan-worshiping cult thought annihilated many years ago. The HoL has found common ground with the Path of Ludd, and will likely bolster that cult's until-now meager forces.

Vasudan capital ships have a much more offensive focus that Terran ships. Most firepower is mounted toward the front of the ship, although there is still a decent amount of anti-fighter coverage as well. Vasudan fighters and bombers are not as diverse nor as effective as Terran equivalents, but still pack a punch.
  • Shivans are completely hostile to everyone. There is no trade, no alliance. They are the Great Destroyers, and nothing will stop them from cleansing the sector of all starfaring races.

Needless to say, Shivan ships cannot be customized with Corvus sector technology.

If one were to successfully land on a Shivan world, if there is such a thing, it's unknown what a non-Shivan would find there, other that certain death.

Shivan capital ships are almost entirely devoted toward offense. They pack immense forward firepower, designed to end a capital ship engagement quickly. Anti-fighter defenses are limited, if present at all. Shivan fighters and bombers match their capital ship cousins in an emphasis on tremendous forward firepower.
  • Shields/Armor: Only fighters have shields. Capital ships have thick armor to compensate (equivalent survivability to same-class vanilla/mod equivalents that have shields).
  • Weapons: All weapons are being balanced to roughly same-tier equivalents in vanilla/other mods.

Most weapons slots on ships are hidden, unless they are visible as turrets in Freespace (mostly Terran ships). I'm thinking that everything except for beam weapons will be customizable in the end. I don't want to open up a situation where people can mount nothing but beam weapons on a ship... at least, not right now.
  • Speed: Freespace capital ships are slooow. They rely on fighters/bombers to pursue faster ships
  • SPECCIAALL BEEEAAMM CANNOONNN: The larger beam cannons are really only a threat versus ships that aren't maneuvering actively. They have long charge times (up to 4 seconds) before firing, so if you sit still for too long, you're going to get skewered. If you see a Demon or Ravana charging up their main beam cannons, GET OUT OF THE WAY.
  • Combat: Your best bet in a Freespace faction fleet is to rely heavily on your fighters/bombers. They are going to be stronger than any fighter/bomber in vanilla or other mods. Use your expensive capital ship(s) to anchor an engagement (their armor can take it), and use your fighters liberally to keep the enemy off balance and your bombers to devastate their larger ships from behind (bombers actually send out bombs, not torpedoes, so a fast cap ship should be able to evade).
[close]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:33:09 PM by Stalker »

Stalker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Freespace
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 05:01:24 AM »

To do list for me...

• Play around with Netbeans and IntelliJ to figure out preferred IDE
  • Do whatever photoshopy work is necessary on the render
  • Get the ship in-game
  • Codify the render -> playable pipeline
  • Start work on five sample weapons: small beam cannon, large terran turret (need better name), small terran turret, flak cannon, AAA beam
  • Codify the weapon pipeline
  • Set up milestones for getting all the ships and weapons in-game. This will probably include a test mission, or series of missions, to test ships against each other and against vanilla ships.
  • BALANCE PASS

The idea here is just to work first on getting all the ships and weapons playable and baselined from a balance perspective. Then, I'll investigate what it'll take to build star systems for this to exist in the campaign mode.

Anything I'm missing here? I'm going to give myself three months to work out the first phase, so I don't kill myself in the process.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 10:44:06 AM by Stalker »

Stalker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 08:26:29 AM »

Just built a spreadsheet out based on a guide on this forum to the weapon/ship/wing stat CSVs. Not sure if it's still 100% correct to what fields are available, but it'll give me something to tinker with. I am nothing if not a spreadsheet nerd, at any rate ;)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bU67QJvR7jMSJzr4rwcq_gNh0Qov6BRPtItJVFzUxUU/edit?usp=sharing

Stalker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 08:27:38 PM »

Successes for the evening!

• Figured out how big to make the final ship image.
  • Set up a pipeline for creating basic normal, surface and material maps from that image! Woo lighting.
  • The full render -> object image pipeline is now in place.
  • Used the Starsector Ship Editor for the first time to create bounds, weapons, and engines. First *.ship file down!

Ship progress
Spoiler
Maps! Let me know if any of this doesn't look right. Trying to model off of what other mods have done.

Ship

Material

Normal

Surface

...and a version with the glowmap applied for the render. I think I actually like this better than the first one.

[close]

In terms of efficiency, should I just be using the editor for bounds/hardpoints going forward, and then edit the rest manually in the *.ship file as needed? I don't know what I don't know at this stage in terms of getting a ship in the game.

Tomorrow, time permitting, I want to get this ship in the game (crude as it is right now).

I'm really intent on making sure I have solid pipelines in place before I tackle anything else. I've done this enough times that I know, once the creative juices are flowing, it's a bad time to struggle with technology to get pipelines in place. So...

**Moved to OP**

I've never coded in Java before, or really any compiled language, so this should be an adventure...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 01:24:25 PM by Stalker »

Stalker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 08:39:33 PM »

Dug in a bit more to file structures tonight, all pretty straightforward CSVs and JSONs. Nothing Java yet.

Figured out a shortcut in my render pipeline that gets me great results and saves a ton of time. Results are great. I processed through a few ships (including the Deimos again) to try it out, and I had no issues. See for yourselves...

Spoiler
Hercules Mark II (Terran Heavy Fighter) - 34 meters long (double FS2 values, because 17 px makes this fighter just a smudge).

Deimos (Terran Corvette) - 717 meters long

Moloch (Shivan Corvette) - 724 meters long

Sobek (Vasudan Corvette) - 660 meters long

[close]

Image Prep Process in Blender (you expert Starsector modders out there, please review and let me know if I'm doing something incorrect in the process - if nothing else, this post will serve as my own documentation for my process):

• Use render as base ship image. Save full-sized image in "raw" directory, then resize and save the ship png itself in the mod directory.
  • Start with ship image. Reduce brightness by 50 and export that image as the material map
  • Start with ship image. Filter -> Map -> Normalmap. Set filter to 5x5 and scale to 10. Export as normal map.
  • Start with ship image. Set red balance of image to 0. Export as surface map.

Unless anyone has any recommendations of how to improve those pieces for optimal awesomeness, I'm going to move on to the ship pipeline work tomorrow.

EDIT: Aaaand just for giggles, this is how big the Orion will be if I keep the current 1 px = 1 m scale going.

Spoiler
[close]

This mod is NOT going to have the Sathanas and Colossus. They are just way too big for this game, even if I scale everything down by half (both are 6000m+ in FS2).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:50:52 PM by Stalker »

Stalker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 12:18:01 PM »

Updated OP, so this seems like a real mod.

Stalker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 07:46:43 PM »

Didn't accomplish a ton tonight, but did refine the sprite process quite a bit.

• The last few renders were really jaggedy, and lacked the solid lines of drawn sprites. I duplicated the layers several times in Gimp, and for symmetrical ships actually flipped the layers on their axis and copied them further. This served to darken and sharpen the borders of each sprite, rather than doing so with a tool. Works for me.
  • Researched mod ship sizes today. I'm going to move away from the sizing I was using and go for 2m = 1px for capital ships and 1m = 2px for fighters. If you look in the updated OP spoiler, you can see the sizes are much more reasonable now, compared to most vanilla/mod ships.

The Orion is still going to be enormous at ~1000px, but it at least won't be potentially game-breakingly huge.

Note to self for balance mapping:
- Destroyer = Battleship
- Corvette = Cruiser
- Cruiser = Destroyer
- Fighter/Bomber = Frigate (CR degradation included?)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 05:45:17 AM by Stalker »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 08:02:43 PM »

1k is too large, there basically is a soft cap for ship sizes of about 800px... And ideally it would be closer to a circle in shape than narrow when that large.

Stalker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 04:29:55 AM »

1k is too large, there basically is a soft cap for ship sizes of about 800px... And ideally it would be closer to a circle in shape than narrow when that large.

What do you mean by soft cap, in this instance? Can you provide more details on what would make it impractical?

If I need to shave off an extra 200 px to make my largest cap ships playable, I'll see what I can do to make that happen. I'm already making compromises on fighter scale right now (larger), since otherwise they would just be a barely-recognizable smudge on the screen, so the precedent is there.

The most important thing to me with this mod is achieving a balance between authenticity and fun, emphasis on the fun.

EDIT: Here's a comparison between the existing ships and two sizes of the Orion (representing the biggest ship sizes in this mod)
Spoiler
Hercules/Deimos/Sobek/Moloch against a 800px vs. 1000px GTD orion

Which looks better? 800px vs. 1000px?
[close]
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 08:24:20 AM by Stalker »

Titann

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 06:28:14 AM »

1000px really too much but colossus and sathanas should be 1000px others should be smallers
Sprites looking awesome though^^

Also is this mod will be total conversion or there will be vanilla ships/systems too?

Stalker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 07:58:22 AM »

1000px really too much but colossus and sathanas should be 1000px others should be smallers
Sprites looking awesome though^^

Also is this mod will be total conversion or there will be vanilla ships/systems too?

What are the issues with having a ship be 1000px? I'm totally new to modding this game, so I don't know what the limitations really are.

Sathanas and Colossus are really too powerful, unless they are going to be "boss" ships. I'm probably going to keep them out of the mix initially. Probably not forever, though :)

It's going to be compatible with vanilla, Nexelerin, etc. This won't be a TC. I want to play this with Blackrock Driveyards and the other great mods out there.

So, the biggest challenge for me is going to be balancing all these ships so they aren't too OP versus Vanilla/mod ships.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 08:56:16 AM by Stalker »

Stalker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 10:17:22 PM »

Woo! Got the ships in-game. Now, granted, they are operating without using custom weapons, but they're still in there! :D

I documented the first encounter between the Terrans and the Shivans in recent memory. The Shivans were at a bit of a disadvantage, but that's sure to change soon! Open the spoiler for screenshots!

Spoiler

VICTORY!
[close]

Taking a break from development tomorrow. Now that I've got Github set up, I can work on things like stats and balancing and whatnot when I'm not at home. I just have to be on my home PC to get all the graphics done.

Stalker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 05:16:20 PM »

OK, so I said I would take a break from dev, but "can't stop won't stop". ;D

I played around with the ships in the combat simulator today and took notes on balancing. My goal is to have these corvettes balance down to Starsector cruiser-level. Once I have those dialed in, I'll balance the remaining ships initially based off the balance scaling I used for the corvettes (FS2 stats -> Starsector stats).

Played around with the photon beam code in the Imperium mod, since it is the closest I've seen to an actual charging animation for beam weapons. It registers where you want to fire the weapon, charges up, and fires it along whatever vector it was at when you tried to fire it. So, you can totally miss with it if you try to fire when you don't have a good firing solution (or against really maneuverable targets). It definitely fits what I wanted to do, and having an example to work off of is super helpful. I just have to rewrite it to work for my requirements. Good times!

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 08:32:05 PM »

I strongly suggest taking MesoTroniK's advice. Try not to go larger than a Paragon and stay as round as possible

Why limit your ship size? The game really starts to drag with the sheer number of armor cells and stuff in play.

Why make your ships close to a circle in shape? Stuff gets weird with the autofire AI for long and skinny ships, resulting in a lot of really sub-par gameplay behaviors.

Stalker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 06:26:31 AM »

I strongly suggest taking MesoTroniK's advice. Try not to go larger than a Paragon and stay as round as possible

Why limit your ship size? The game really starts to drag with the sheer number of armor cells and stuff in play.

Why make your ships close to a circle in shape? Stuff gets weird with the autofire AI for long and skinny ships, resulting in a lot of really sub-par gameplay behaviors.

Ah, I guess it *would* be a lot more expensive for AI calls vs. polygonal bounds rather than against the radius of a circle. Makes sense. Thanks for that... It's important to know how things work under the hood. I haven't even scratched the surface on that yet.

Unfortunately for the shape I'm tied to the source material. I will play around with smaller sizes, even though that messes with the sense of scale I am trying to convey (fighters, cruisers, and corvettes battling amongst 2km-long titans, locked in mortal combat with each other).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5