Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: [0.7.2a] Freespace v0.2 (updated 2/11/17)  (Read 52148 times)

Stalker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.1a] Freespace v0.1 (updated 12/21/15)
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2015, 08:01:01 AM »

v0.1 is out! Please post your feedback here. Enjoy!

DOWNLOAD FREESPACE v0.1 FOR STARSECTOR 0.7.1a!

Known Issues
Spoiler
  • I wanted to make it Nexerelin-compatible for this release, but it kept crashing due to the inclusion of Nex code in the rules.csv, so I just renamed it to rules2.csv.

Renaming it to rules.csv doesn't help, strangely enough. I need to figure out what's missing that's preventing Freespace factions from showing up in the Nex factions list. All the code I wrote is in this release, so if anyone can figure it out...
  • No faction logos yet. It's on the list.
  • Faction markets do not skew heavily towards fighters yet. It's also pretty difficult to find FS weapons right now at markets. Not sure how to fix the markets yet...
  • Faction fleets are not really balanced yet, due to the lack of ship diversity. This will be fixed by adding more ships later.
  • Cap ships are getting their armor and flux venting reduced, but have been given buffs to base flux capacity. This should allow beams to be fired for their duration, but they'll fill up your flux meter, which will take some time to empty. This should bring flux dynamics to be close to parity with shielded ships.
  • Issues with Faction naming and fleet compositions. Way too many Corvettes, no Shivan Destroyers, and not enough fighters.
[close]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:49:55 PM by Stalker »

Stalker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2015, 10:58:15 AM »

If you want to play with these races in Nexerelin, just rename data/campaign/rules2.csv to rules.csv

You won't be able to start a game AS these races yet, because for some reason they aren't showing up in the list of selectable races. You can, however, play next to them and presumably join them in-game.

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2015, 11:12:48 AM »

If you're talking about Nexerelin, you can refer to that OP on how to make them playable.

Stalker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2015, 11:18:02 AM »

If you're talking about Nexerelin, you can refer to that OP on how to make them playable.

Tried all that, to the letter, and it didn't work. The factions work with Nex, but aren't selectable.

Stalker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2015, 10:24:19 AM »

Working on 0.1a right now. Fixing bugs I've noticed, and getting the remaining sprites and sounds done and in the build.

It'll be awhile before v0.2, as I won't be in a position to do development in January.

Any feedback on the current build? I'll throw any fixes into a 0.1a if I can.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 10:54:07 AM by Stalker »

Lictuel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2015, 01:12:51 PM »

Just logged in to say: damn I love what I'm seeing here. I have been a big freespace fan for a long long time and I'd love to see it come to starfarersector.

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2016, 12:01:28 AM »

compared to vanilla ships, the Freespace ships feel way too powerful but only if you are in their limited range.  I sim-scrimmaged several ships against freespace equivalents and that was true across the board;  got dunked close in but was able to kite and destroy them fairly easily.

suggestion: less overall power, but longer range on at least some weapons; a shieldless ship cannot afford to be outranged.

Note: Not sure what the default FS variants are like, so dunno if they were using Targeting Cores.
If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2016, 10:03:49 AM »

So, something i've noticed with Freespace in Nexerelin (yes, Freespace works with other faction mods, Starsector+ & Nexerelin, wohoo!)

The thing i've noticed is that the factions are using placeholder(?) flags so far, but the Shivans, everytime they have something to do with diplomacy it comes up as blank

Eg; PBC &  -prisoner exchange

Pictures coming soon.
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

Stalker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2016, 08:10:41 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'm back from January, and will be ramping up development again. Some good takeaways thus far:

• Power balance of existing ships to bring them more in-line with vanilla. I'll pump up the weapon ranges and reduce the damage.
  • Add flags/icons for factions

I'm going to tighten up the balance with the existing ships before adding too many more ships to the factions. I may add transport ships for the next build, since I'd like to move the FS factions away from using vanilla freighters/tankers.

Right now, I'm planning on the "rebel" factions using the FS1 ships, while the "military" factions use the FS2 ships and any new ships that come along. The Shivans will just keep shive-ing as they are.

Camael

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2016, 01:49:26 PM »

Really got to say this was the best positive surprise in a while. Thought, meh, does not sound tooo interesting, but I loved freespace, so let's see. In my opinion the ideas are very well implemented. The capitals actually feel freespacy and have a very unique balancing behind them - tough steel blocks that have no real weak spots unlike more conventional starsector-ships that can be outmaneuvered, but in turn, no shields, so no regeneration, go in, do damage, get back out, repeat. Still super interesting in itself. In turn the fighterswarms with their absurdly useful shields also feel quite authentic and balance things out quite a bit - can outrange and kite the corvettes, but not the fighter-swarm.

Courageous design choices, well implemented, I am impressed and happy and can feel the shivan fear running down my spine already. Please keep it up, I am looking forward to actual fleets and the three factions interacting.

Also, thanks for not making this a total conversion, it's awesome to have them herc II's smash into some Onslaught PD...

Stalker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2017, 01:14:32 PM »

I'm still around, and I've still got my development environment up and running, so I'm looking at updating this for compatibility and slowly (very slowly) dropping mini-releases to get all the ships in and playable. No promises beyond that.

I was working on v0.2 a year ago and the branch is still live, so once I figure out what my workflow used to be, I can start plugging away.

Stalker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2017, 06:14:27 AM »

So, as mentioned on page 1, I have this spreadsheet I'm using for all the ship and weapon stats:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bU67QJvR7jMSJzr4rwcq_gNh0Qov6BRPtItJVFzUxUU/edit?usp=sharing

Rather than try to craft each ship's stats from scratch, individually (balance as you go), I'm taking the ships I have already balanced as a baseline and am calculating other ship stats based on the delta ratios.

This will enable me to get these ships in game much more quickly, where I can then begin tweaking them individually based on experience and feedback.

I'm also going to try the same thing with weapons and see how it works out.

Edit: Note to myself that ships should be sold without beam cannons, and only (D) versions should be available for sale outside of salvage or some really-difficult-to-attain faction rep. Other Freespace weapons only available via military submarket. Then there's a reason for conflict/play. Also, only cruisers and basic fighters/bombers should be avail in the regular market, maybe with ballistic weapon loadouts (a la Freespace 1), and everything advanced for the military.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:24:34 PM by Stalker »

Stalker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.2a] Freespace v0.2 (updated 2/11/17)
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2017, 09:25:04 PM »

v0.2 is out! No new ships yet, but I've cleaned up a ton of code and have made the mod compatible with the latest and greatest everything.

Change Log
Version 0.2
- Updated for compatibility with SS v0.7.2a
- Added Nexerelin compatibility
- Switched from ShaderLib to GraphicsLib
- Fixed a crash bug with the Piranha clusterbomb
- Cleaned up and fixed up sector and planet generation code
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:33:24 PM by Stalker »

Stalker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2017, 08:03:59 AM »

Here's a collage of the full GTA fleet (OK, minus freighters and tankers, which are on the back-burner)! These are "actual" size for Starsector.

Random fact: the guide I use when converting FS ships over to Starsector is roughly:

Fighters and Utility: 2x pixels than FS length
Bombers: 1.5x pixels than FS length
Medium Capitals: .5x pixels than FS length
Large Capitals: .35 - .4x pixels than FS length

This normalizes sizes of ships a bit to work with Starsector, without being too weird.

In terms of playstyles, here's what I'm thinking:
- Bombers = Frigates. Fully configurable.
- Cruisers/Corvette/Destroyers = Cruisers/Destroyers/Battleships. Also fully configurable. Might as well let folks outfit them however they want. I guess that means beam cannons will be purchasable--I just need to find a way to make it so they are super rare outside of mounting on FS capital ships.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 08:22:55 AM by Stalker »

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2017, 02:39:09 PM »

oooooooooooWOOOOAAAHHH.

Those are bloody huge... how soon will these be added?
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5