Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41]

Author Topic: Project Valkyrie V1.5 [0.65.2a - Vanilla Friendly] Outdated.  (Read 322393 times)

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: Project Valkyrie V1.5 [0.65.2a - Vanilla Friendly] Outdated.
« Reply #600 on: November 17, 2016, 04:44:16 AM »

I guess I came off a little to spicy, but I won't take back a word, what is written is written, I had a feeling he wasn't native english so I did write in that he should have ignored the whole rant if that's the case, but people only read the juicy parts so.. meh

To avoid further confusion, i'l have the thread locked and closed, I wish you all bright futures ahead and I myself can't wait to see starsector finished. :D

Even if i don't play the game anymore, i'm still around to see all the other fine works you people release, maybe i'l see yours too one day Drakon, best of luck! :)

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: November 17, 2016, 04:50:01 AM »

I had no issue with ur tone ValkyriaL

angry, yet reasonable

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: November 17, 2016, 05:09:32 AM »

Now, now. No more angry comments, lets just leave it be. The mod author has stated clearly he does not want the mod to be touched or modified in anyway. Let the hassle die down please.
Tis true. And I stated it clearly that we shouldn't care because it's against best interests of 99% of the player base.

That's not your call to make.
This is about intellectual property and once you start going down the road of ignoring mod authors' expressed wishes on how their mods are to be handled you risk losing a lot of future content.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: November 17, 2016, 05:15:01 AM »

you have dug up and vandalised a grave I buried...
the mod will hopefully go back to my care, where I will put them to rest permanently...
back in 0.34-0.51 where ... i'd like to remember them ...
This is rather peculiar case of "the need of the many vs the ego of the few".

And I stated it clearly that we shouldn't care because it's against best interests of 99% of the player base.

A mod author maintains the right to his intellectual property. If anyone modifies and publicizes his IP without permission, that is not acceptable.

I don't want to turn this into a philosophical discussion, but let me just say: Not respecting the IP of mod authors would not be in the "best interests of 99% of the player base". It would discourage all authors to continue their passion projects, seeing as those would not be guaranteed to stay their own. The player base does not benefit if you discourage modders from modding.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Creepin

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 17, 2016, 05:21:15 AM »

That's not your call to make.
But only because I don't know how to mod Starsector. At any rate, this is my opinion to voice.

This is about intellectual property
Umm, screw the intellectual property? The most disgusting, ugly, culturally and recreationally damaging institution modern capitalism created. I fully understand why Disney clings to it, making half of the world bend to keep their fleeting control over almost century old franchise, but why do you?

and once you start going down the road of ignoring mod authors' expressed wishes on how their mods are to be handled you risk losing a lot of future content.
It is my sincere beliefhope that majority of the mod authors are doing what they do for the joy of creation, for the desire to have a better gaming experience and to share it with others. I really doubt there's many authors creating mods for the sake of having common people to kiss them in the ass, and if there's some, well, we're better off without their mods.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: November 17, 2016, 05:26:31 AM »

Not having your mod protected by Intellectual Propriety is the fastest way to have a modding community exclusively producing big IP mods and never try to make something new because it will be taken away from them.

Also, what you are saying amount to advocating for piracy isn't it?

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: November 17, 2016, 05:30:06 AM »

you have dug up and vandalised a grave I buried...
the mod will hopefully go back to my care, where I will put them to rest permanently...
back in 0.34-0.51 where ... i'd like to remember them ...
This is rather peculiar case of "the need of the many vs the ego of the few".

And I stated it clearly that we shouldn't care because it's against best interests of 99% of the player base.

A mod author maintains the right to his intellectual property. If anyone modifies and publicizes his IP without permission, that is not acceptable.

I don't want to turn this into a philosophical discussion, but let me just say: Not respecting the IP of mod authors would not be in the "best interests of 99% of the player base". It would discourage all authors to continue their passion projects, seeing as those would not be guaranteed to stay their own. The player base does not benefit if you discourage modders from modding.

You can add to topic "Mod Index (Categorized)" link for this mod and my fix for this? Like a NGO. Until Originem doesn't update it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 05:32:03 AM by DrakonST »
I a Russian. And i communicate with the help of Promt Translate. And I am a color-blind person.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 17, 2016, 05:39:13 AM »

At any rate, this is my opinion to voice.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough: Further encouragement of the abuse of IP without permission will not be tolerated on this forum.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Creepin

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: November 17, 2016, 05:44:32 AM »

Maybe I wasn't clear enough: Further encouragement of the abuse of IP without permission will not be tolerated on this forum.
I'm sorry Tartiflette, apparently I'm not allowed to reply to you seeing as I'm too lazy to create new account ::)

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: November 17, 2016, 05:45:52 AM »

Umm, screw the intellectual property? The most disgusting, ugly, culturally and recreationally damaging institution modern capitalism created. I fully understand why Disney clings to it, making half of the world bend to keep their fleeting control over almost century old franchise, but why do you?

Because I believe in people having a right to decide what happens to their own creations?
Kindly spare me the drama and the idealism, the modders here aren't withholding life-saving medicine from you for the sake of their bottom line. These are volunteers spending considerable time and effort to create improvements to the game that every player can enjoy for free.

I really doubt there's many authors creating mods for the sake of having common people to kiss them in the ass, and if there's some, well, we're better off without their mods.

Nobody is asking you to kiss any asses, just to respect their intellectual property.
And if you're better off without mods from people that don't want you to mess with their stuff, why advocate reviving it against their will?

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: November 17, 2016, 06:14:11 AM »

Can a moderator lock this thread? The discussion is kind of getting us nowhere.
"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41]