Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 39

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 291546 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #465 on: December 21, 2015, 01:41:41 PM »

maybe you could toggle your sensor ring to "threat range" and "sensor range" with threat range determining what range at which fleet size X can probably detect you and sensor range determining at what range you can probably detect fleet size X. You can plug in a fleet size of your choosing depending on the situation.

For example if you are fleet size 5, you are not really worried about fleet size 5, but fleet size 10 would be a problem, so you set your threat range to 10, a ring surrounds your ship. you intuitively know that any signatures outside that ring is bigger than 10, and too be avoided (or investigated).

This makes me think of a drastic simplification of the whole sensor system, where there are only like five sensor/detection ranges. Similar to the discretization that happened to burn speeds a few updates ago. Then you could display the real value at which a fleet of any of the five sensor strengths could detect you/be detected by you.
Don't know how much fun such a coarse system would be though, and if it would leave enough room for interactions with skills and environment.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 21, 2015, 01:45:53 PM »

This makes me think of a drastic simplification of the whole sensor system, where there are only like five sensor/detection ranges. Similar to the discretization that happened to burn speeds a few updates ago. Then you could display the real value at which a fleet of any of the five sensor strengths could detect you/be detected by you.

Actually did consider this at the very start - problem is that gets weird with the edge cases where adding/removing a ship would take you from one category to another. Doesn't seem like the sort of thing you want optimal play to revolve around.

Burn doesn't have the same problem since it's just the lowest value, but you couldn't do the same sort of thing with sensors where the goal is for it to be explicitly tied to fleet size.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #467 on: December 21, 2015, 04:01:32 PM »

It may be worth adding to fleet tooltips on the main campaign screen, something along these lines:
Sensor Profile: 12 (2 lower than your sensor strength)
Detection Range: 1842 (+1000)

And maybe do something along the same lines for sensor strength and the range you can be detected at.

I think this would clarify a lot of the sensor mechanics for people.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 22, 2015, 03:54:57 AM »

I wonder if it'd raise different questions (i.e. why do the numbers for each ship keep changing as you add/remove ships?)
Hmm. Maybe it would make sense to show the "range" values as a percentage instead. ... And it wouldn't confuse by showing a range number that's not useful aside from self-comparison purposes. Wrote this down.

Maybe a combination of percentage and total range for the tooltip, like this:

______
Your total sensor range is 1500 SU against a typical medium fleet, 1000 SU against a typical small fleet and 2000 SU against a typical big fleet.

Your fleet has 80% of the sensor range of a typical fleet of its size.

Contribution by ship:

Dominator 30%
Omen 30%
Tarsus 10%
Buffalo 10%
______

Another example:
Spoiler
______
Your total sensor range is 1000 SU against a typical medium fleet, 700 SU against a typical small fleet and 1300 SU against a typical big fleet.

Your fleet has 130% of the sensor range of a typical fleet of its size.

Contribution by ship:

Apogee 100%
Wolf 15%
Wolf 15%
______

[close]

Percentage might be clearer than specific numbers, as it better indicates that the contribution of each ship can only be seen in the fleet context. Then again, maybe you meant that and I just misunderstood.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 03:57:39 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 22, 2015, 05:26:23 AM »

<tooltip stuff>
This would make things a bit clearer.
The %age "your fleet is good/bad compared to average" I can imagine being helpful.

And would it be a hassle to have a sensor overlay you could activate/toggle on both the campaign and mini maps?
A pair of coloured/shaded circles centered on your fleet - green for how far you can see, red for how far you can be seen.

Space submarine simulator is pretty fun, but it is damn frustrating trying to figure out how to set things up when it's all black-boxy and mysterious. :P
Thank you all for being so cool.

Mudanzas Valencia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • mudanzas valencia
« Reply #470 on: December 22, 2015, 05:31:45 AM »

That indicates the outer edge of the range at which they can detect you, and is only shown when you're near that range. If you're outside it, they can't see you (yet). If you're inside it, they can see you. You also have to see *them* to get this indicator in the first place.

needs an ingame tooltip thingy
si desea un presupuesto para su hogar o negocio
http://www.mudanzasvalemcia.com
Sus muebles, así como nuestra reputación en Valencia, tu empresa de mudanzas economicas.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 22, 2015, 12:57:51 PM »

Going to reply to sensor stuff in this thread to avoid pretty much repurposing this one.

But one more reply here :)

And would it be a hassle to have a sensor overlay you could activate/toggle on both the campaign and mini maps?
A pair of coloured/shaded circles centered on your fleet - green for how far you can see, red for how far you can be seen.

That's the thing - there's no such range because it depends on the other fleet. You'll see larger fleets from farther away, and vice versa. So a circle like that would be very misleading - hence the per-fleet indicators when you're at the edge of their sensor range.

I actually did try an overlay in the beginning - a nice-looking one with tick marks for "this is the range at which you'll detect a size X fleet", etc. It was just not helpful at all in playtesting, unfortunately, for various reasons.

Space submarine simulator is pretty fun, but it is damn frustrating trying to figure out how to set things up when it's all black-boxy and mysterious. :P

The baseline is just more ships = you'll see and be seen from farther away. The exact impact of individual ships varies slightly - phase ships, sensor ships, civ ships, augmented engines. If you have bonuses, you'll see other fleets before they see you (unless they also have bonuses). If you have penalties, you'll be seen before you see them.

If you have the transponder on, its impact is high enough to override pretty much anything else.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 24, 2015, 07:41:09 AM »

After 63 levels, finally acquired a Hyperion!  Had to save-scum a deserter bounty fleet to board it.  Each attempt, I parked outside of Aztlan system, then gate in and travel about two weeks for Toci, where the bounty fleet sat.  If random events vary in that time frame or less, then ships eligible for boarding change too.  (I noticed that after my previous Onslaught capture attempt, which I finally boarded thanks to Special Ops perk.)

First attempt, I had a chance to board Aurora.  Nice, but I really want that Hyperion!

Second attempt, chance to board Falcon.  Ugh! No thanks!

Third attempt, nothing, just salvage.

Forth attempt, Hyperion offered!  Time to act like Gollum!

I have yet to configure it since I do not have the weapons available deep in enemy territory and since I brought three Atlas with me, I will make it worth their while by grinding Hegemony detachments until they fill up with loot.  Maybe I will board a XIV ship while I am at it.

One more thing:  Special Ops perk is very, very nice!  No need to bring 500 or so marines in a liner in case a capital gets offered for boarding.

Salient

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 03, 2016, 04:16:26 PM »

I just want to say that i like the direction the game is going. Feel like a whole new game from the last time i played. I have to say this the biggest bang for my 10 bucks i've gotten in awhile.

Ran into a bug, I took the tri-tach commission, and they are upset i am friendly with knights of ludd. I installed the latest hot patch.

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 03, 2016, 04:58:34 PM »

I just want to say that i like the direction the game is going. Feel like a whole new game from the last time i played. I have to say this the biggest bang for my 10 bucks i've gotten in awhile.

Ran into a bug, I took the tri-tach commission, and they are upset i am friendly with knights of ludd. I installed the latest hot patch.
The issue was addresed already and will be fixed in the next version.
You can work around the issue yourself very easily tho :)
1)Make sure you have the Console Commands mod up and running.
2)Open the console in your current game, type setrelationship knights_of_ludd player -100
Cheers!

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #475 on: January 03, 2016, 07:01:05 PM »

No patch notes for 0.7.2 yet?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 03, 2016, 07:14:59 PM »

Not quite yet :) Thinking about it, though.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 03, 2016, 09:57:42 PM »

Not quite yet :) Thinking about it, though.

Hah, Alex can't resist a good tease...   :D

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 04, 2016, 01:02:38 AM »

I feel like isn't extreme enough for an actual bug report, but i might as well mention somewhere:

Spoiler
[close]

Things like that *probably* shouldn't happen  :P  breaks the immersion, right?

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 04, 2016, 05:39:46 AM »

I am so lost @.@ I am looking at the picture trying to figure out what it wrong and I can't. This feels like one of those puzzle games, that the solution is easier than breathing and yet I can't figure it out >.<
Ignorance is bliss..
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 39