Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 39

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 291541 times)

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #405 on: December 12, 2015, 01:09:26 PM »

Yeah, it's old lore from the game's former writer Ivaylo, not reflected in the game proper. I'm not sure if it can even be considered canon anymore.

Back then it was:

Mastery-epoch = low-tech
Core-epoch = midline
Expansion-epoch = high-tech

But for example the Gryphon, which is visually a midline design, is now described as being used just before the Gates collapsed, which would put it in the Expansion-epoch. I don't know if that's a mistake or if David is throwing those old concepts over board.

Thanks.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 13, 2015, 06:54:35 AM »

Game is improved greatly during 2015, but still same two words to describe vanilla campaign mechanics:

1) Boring - if you want hull A and weapon B, relax, take a deep breath, go to 2
2) Frustrating - sorry mate, you hull and weapon is in another station!

With addition of officers and "military comissions" one more word is added: Illogical.

"Military market" with reputation and comission restriction is great addition to sandbox style game where player can purchase nuclear weapons and ever people on "black market".

Civilization is collapsed, entire worlds struggle to survive, starvation is pretty common event, pirates fly around and killing everyone on spot reapers are coming
sorry commander shepard, please grind reputation for 120 minutes first!
Really?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 13, 2015, 07:09:54 AM »

The thing I dislike most about commission is I no longer care about reputation above suspicious for non-hostiles aside from my adopted faction because I cannot buy anything that requires high reputation.  Open market is only useful for mitigating chance of investigation and/or buying supplies/fuel/crew in an emergency.  Even if I get caught, the rep penalty is minimal (i.e., does not take too much to go from suscipious to inhospitable and vice versa).

Most of my shopping is done at black markets in 0.7.1a.

Black Markets seem to be stocking the same old weapons and ships.  They seem to stock fewer heavy weapons and other unusual items than before.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #408 on: December 13, 2015, 07:20:57 AM »

Would it be kinda improved on 0.7.2, with Independents not requiring commission?

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 13, 2015, 08:29:54 AM »

interesting idea. the independent faction is very wide. i think it would be interesting to see them have more military markets, some of which don't require a commission, which are sort of semi-legal mercenary havens, security contractors, or military surplus (spaceship edition!) where you could get mid-tech ships and weapons without strings attached.

i assume at least that the independents already have this kind of infrastructure, considering they field a fairly large amount of ships themselves not attached to any sector power. it just isn't usable by the player.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 13, 2015, 10:06:13 AM »

After reading "Enemy ships tagged with orders are visible under fog of war" at the bugs forum, Avoid order has a nice side-effect (for those who chain flagships), marking enemies you want dead but you lose from fog-of-war because you got distracted by a higher priority threat.

I think I will use the Avoid order mostly to mark and track a priority enemy I want dead but cannot deal it immediately.  Lately, I have been soloing almost every enemy fleet with a lone Dominator or Paragon.

BHunterSEAL

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 13, 2015, 03:33:53 PM »

Is there any way to tell how far out the system bounty range extends in hyperspace? I just had an absolutely epic battle that would have netted me 30k+ if the payment triggered, instead I'm left trying to pick up the pieces of my fleet with zero cash :( Gravity wells from the issuing system (Eos Exodus) were close enough to be seen on the same screen as the battle site--the battle didn't have the grav well backdrop though.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 13, 2015, 03:35:21 PM »

Is there any way to tell how far out the system bounty range extends in hyperspace? I just had an absolutely epic battle that would have netted me 30k+ if the payment triggered, instead I'm left trying to pick up the pieces of my fleet with zero cash :( Gravity wells from the issuing system (Eos Exodus) were close enough to be seen on the same screen as the battle site--the battle didn't have the grav well backdrop though.

There isn't, and yeah, that's a bit of a problem. IIRC it's 2000 units, or one map grid cell.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 13, 2015, 04:59:49 PM »

Game is improved greatly during 2015, but still same two words to describe vanilla campaign mechanics:

1) Boring - if you want hull A and weapon B, relax, take a deep breath, go to 2
2) Frustrating - sorry mate, you hull and weapon is in another station!

With addition of officers and "military comissions" one more word is added: Illogical.

"Military market" with reputation and comission restriction is great addition to sandbox style game where player can purchase nuclear weapons and ever people on "black market".

Civilization is collapsed, entire worlds struggle to survive, starvation is pretty common event, pirates fly around and killing everyone on spot reapers are coming
sorry commander shepard, please grind reputation for 120 minutes first!
Really?

Buying nuclear weapons on the black market is highly illegal and if the local authorities get proof that you did it they will ban you from their stations and their fleets will try to kill you.

There are serious cracks in civilization, but it's not all gone yet and the people trying to hold things together in the apocalypse aren't *** around.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 13, 2015, 06:43:47 PM »

I have used the Avoid order to mark and track enemy carriers that appear briefly then disappear.  For players who solo or chain flagships, Avoid order is most useful for marking enemies and make them always visible on the map.

I also used Avoid to mark an Onslaught I wanted to flee from.

BHunterSEAL

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 13, 2015, 07:08:14 PM »

There isn't, and yeah, that's a bit of a problem. IIRC it's 2000 units, or one map grid cell.

Thanks, that's really helpful--I've noticed hyperspace tends to have a greater number and variety of potential targets so it's where I spend most of my "hunting" time.

I'd actually thought of this when I found myself chasing down fleets after system bounties expired--the message isn't hard to miss if you're not keeping an eye out--but it might be beneficial to add a small 'bounty eligible' indicator to the campaign view. Maybe a small logo a the corner of the screen that appears when in an active bounty system or the hyperspace area. The logo would be that of the issuing faction, and its tooltip could provide important details like expiry, frigate value and valid target factions. Just a thought, I have no idea how much work something like that would be to implement.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 13, 2015, 07:24:19 PM »

Small CREDIT icon that flickers in somewhere when you'll get paid  if you fight someone off. Preferably with the faction icon of whoever holds the bounty.
Sounds like a good idea.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 14, 2015, 01:12:42 AM »

Really?

Buying nuclear weapons on the black market is highly illegal and if the local authorities get proof that you did it they will ban you from their stations and their fleets will try to kill you.

There are serious cracks in civilization, but it's not all gone yet and the people trying to hold things together in the apocalypse aren't *** around.

This little picture with some [sarcasm] will explain why "neutrals" and "pirate" faction reputation, comission and "military" market is really bad move that violate game's lore and probably violate "suspension of disbelief".

[attachment deleted by admin]

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 14, 2015, 02:24:38 AM »

Small CREDIT icon that flickers in somewhere when you'll get paid  if you fight someone off. Preferably with the faction icon of whoever holds the bounty.
Sounds like a good idea.

If the mouse-over tooltip could show how much bounty a fleet is worth at the given moment/position that would be tremendously helpful. Even in-system you often don't notice when a system bounty runs out or a new one starts.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 14, 2015, 03:51:06 AM »

Sounds like a good idea.

If the mouse-over tooltip could show how much bounty a fleet is worth at the given moment/position that would be tremendously helpful. Even in-system you often don't notice when a system bounty runs out or a new one starts.
Preferably with durations measured in days.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 39