Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 39

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 291682 times)

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #375 on: December 09, 2015, 02:52:22 AM »

officers are really neat, but a bit crazy. i don't mind the actual skill buffs they give to the ships, but they seem too common in "low-order" fleets. i just encountered a random picket fleet wandering through space that had 6+ officers over level 10, and i think 3-4 of them were level 20. at least to me that seems a little silly, besides the problem of having huge problems gauging what is possible for me to engage, it's a little weird lore-wise; at least as i understood it, a level 20 officer should be pretty rare, just living through so many battles must be a huge rarity, plus who even can say if most people are even capable of getting to that level? seems to me like it'd be better to have officers be more common and less skilled, except perhaps in huge warfleets that can of course pick and choose their soldiers from the entire faction, like system defense fleets, massive supply fleets, etc. discarding all that though, level 20 officers are incredibly ludicrously powerful, so making them rarer might help players climb the ladder, and also make engaging non-pirate fleets less of a horrific gamble.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 09, 2015, 05:06:36 AM »

Large missile weapons are super rare in my game. I went to like 6 different systems and checked ALL the markets and out of all of them only Volturn, of all places, had two Cyclone reaper launchers.

That is all I can find; the two new large missile weapons are nonexistant thus far. Granted, the Cyclone launcher is fine but still! =/
Aren't there normally loads in military markets? Time to take that commission so you can more easily equip your black market cruiser I suspect.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 09, 2015, 07:28:16 AM »

I'm commissioned with Hegemony (100/100 cooperative) and they have zero large missiles in all their systems military and open markets. Only ones I've found are those two Cyclone reaper launchers on Volturn's black market. Heh

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #378 on: December 09, 2015, 07:30:28 AM »

None on ALL Hegemony markets? Sounds weird.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 09, 2015, 07:56:58 AM »

I know right? Thats why I went ahead and made a post about it! RNG can be a real bastard it seems.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 09, 2015, 08:28:43 AM »

Hates you, I'd guess, considering Hegemony even has a size 8 market.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 09, 2015, 08:39:49 AM »

Might be more than that, I also have found big missiles to be extremely rare. In my 7.1 playthrough I have seen three in total, and that is while actively looking for them and having access to the Heg military markets from early on.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 09, 2015, 09:01:40 AM »

Just remembered:
?Improved autofire logic when using beam weapons for point defense (less likely to keep turning beam on and off vs a fast moving target)
Beam PD is more effective than ever.  Tactical lasers with IPDAI are extremely effective, noticeably more than before.  Only reasons to use alternatives is lack of Tactical Lasers, lack of OP to support the Adv. Gyros and IPDAI hullmods, or flux cost is too much.

A Disco Wolf with Advanced Optics, Integrated Point Defense, Advanced Gyros, Integrated Targeting Unit, and an officer with Gunnery Implants makes for a pretty big "no missiles/fighters allowed" radius.  It's sweet watching Salamanders get bopped out of the air immediately after they leave the tubes.

Wonder if it might be better off without Optics though.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 09, 2015, 12:06:15 PM »

officers are really neat, but a bit crazy. i don't mind the actual skill buffs they give to the ships, but they seem too common in "low-order" fleets. i just encountered a random picket fleet wandering through space that had 6+ officers over level 10, and i think 3-4 of them were level 20. at least to me that seems a little silly, besides the problem of having huge problems gauging what is possible for me to engage, it's a little weird lore-wise; at least as i understood it, a level 20 officer should be pretty rare, just living through so many battles must be a huge rarity, plus who even can say if most people are even capable of getting to that level? seems to me like it'd be better to have officers be more common and less skilled, except perhaps in huge warfleets that can of course pick and choose their soldiers from the entire faction, like system defense fleets, massive supply fleets, etc. discarding all that though, level 20 officers are incredibly ludicrously powerful, so making them rarer might help players climb the ladder, and also make engaging non-pirate fleets less of a horrific gamble.

More or less how it works, but some fleets - such as Lion's Guard - have high-level officers despite their small size, to reflect their elite status.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 09, 2015, 12:45:48 PM »

@ Voyager I: Tactical Lasers are a bit on the slow side.  They are not always able to keep up with Salamanders.  This is another reason to use other beam PD sometimes.

Advanced Optics makes them a bit slower, but they are fast enough if you have Advanced Turret Gyros.  If you have a good reason for 1200 range beams (such as matching Gauss Cannon), then keep Advanced Optics.  I usually use Advanced Optics on PD lasers and Phase Lance.  I occasionally use Advanced Optics on Tactical Lasers and Graviton Beams for Eagle and Conquest.  Those ships can be built to kite from extremely long range.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 10, 2015, 01:24:20 PM »

I've not noticed before, but enemy ships which get flagged for boarding always seem to have thier entire skeleton crew intact.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 10, 2015, 01:38:33 PM »

Might be more than that, I also have found big missiles to be extremely rare. In my 7.1 playthrough I have seen three in total, and that is while actively looking for them and having access to the Heg military markets from early on.
I found 7 MIRV in the first miltary market I looked (Port Franchise #3). Maybe Hegemony just doesn't have very many large missiles on offer or I am just lucky.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 10, 2015, 03:10:54 PM »

Possible. Are there any Mastery Epoch vessel has a large missile mount? I can recall none.
If that's the case, they simply don't need it.

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 10, 2015, 06:20:26 PM »

Possible. Are there any Mastery Epoch vessel has a large missile mount? I can recall none.
You can't recall any because there aren't any. Only the Apogee, Aurora, Gryphon, Conquest, and Astral have large missile mounts.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 10, 2015, 07:19:12 PM »

Hegemony isn't interested in them, except Gryphon(I've seen they field it), right?
So... that kinda justifies it.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 39