Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 39

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 291577 times)

Psilous

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #315 on: December 06, 2015, 07:07:32 PM »

Note that if you do attack them, you'll recover some standing with the independents once hostilities end.

Well that's nice to know  :) Yea I just opened it up and checked, I was already well in the negative with independent so the punishment makes no sense, Sindrian Dictat I get, but I'm neutral with them.

I think I'm just trying to express that it's frustrating when I just took out 5 or 6 large pirate fleets my own faction comes chewing at me to throw my fleet at someone else, and they're not even paying me enough to be hitting enemies regularly.

I do like how this adds depth, I definitely would not suggest someone becomes a commission with any of the powers that be at this point. I only had access to the better weapons for the course of a few days before they started docking me for not hitting everyone.

Maybe private objectives (similar to drox operative) that you have no choice but take just to keep your rep up and they send these special missions (with a few credits) on some sort of random basis.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 06, 2015, 07:12:07 PM »

I'm not sure what you're saying, why do you need to be come hostile with "everyone"? Unless you're joining the faction at a time when it's hostile with everyone, I suppose.

... thinking about just making hostility automatic, though, i.e. w/o making you need to hunt down that faction's fleet. Have a commission, and the other faction is at war with yours? Hostile!

Psilous

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 06, 2015, 07:16:23 PM »

I'm not sure what you're saying, why do you need to be come hostile with "everyone"? Unless you're joining the faction at a time when it's hostile with everyone, I suppose.

... thinking about just making hostility automatic, though, i.e. w/o making you need to hunt down that faction's fleet. Have a commission, and the other faction is at war with yours? Hostile!

I don't honestly know. It was behavior I was unaware the game was going to take, with -5 discipline every time for every faction (sometimes two or three at the same time) and without warning. At least they give me a friendly reminder about the transponder... With this game behavior I do believe I'll be uninstalling the extra faction mods as that is only going to make it impossible for me to please a faction...most definitely those darn Templars.

Been loving the new update though. It really has become a very well balanced game. Cheers!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 06, 2015, 07:19:21 PM »

That would be convenient, usually, if you are grinding enemies in your faction's system.  On the other hand, that might lead to an uncommon case where a previously peaceful defense fleet or three turns on you and attacks before you react, possibly before you get the news, if you are elsewhere.  (For example, Sindrian fleets gang-up on you suddenly just as you are ready to shop at Sindria.)

Perhaps the safe option is to let player opt into the hostilities, so player does not rage quit if big fleets turn killer at a bad place.  Taking penalties for lack of hostilities is probably lesser of two evils than getting wiped if you are deep in friendly-turned-hostile space.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 07:23:13 PM by Megas »

Psilous

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 06, 2015, 07:29:29 PM »

Taking penalties for lack of hostilities is probably lesser of two evils than getting wiped if you are deep in friendly-turned-hostile space.

True but at two factions a piece that's -10 at a regular interval and enough to reduce you from getting any of the equipment benefits you opted into getting.

I just don't think there's enough benefit outside of equipment for picking a side. Maybe if the tariffs were less stiff (that would make up for the measly 300 per ship they toss at my begging hands) or if I got military weapons at a reduced rate... there needs to be some extra benefit if I am going to sacrifice all of my sanity tracking down fleets to continually attack.

Vinyl Dash

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 06, 2015, 08:00:00 PM »

On the other hand, that might lead to an uncommon case where a previously peaceful defense fleet or three turns on you and attacks before you react, possibly before you get the news, if you are elsewhere.  (For example, Sindrian fleets gang-up on you suddenly just as you are ready to shop at Sindria.)

That's a good point. A neat solution might be to have your faction warn you in advance that they plan to declare war. Maybe give the player a week to prepare.

True but at two factions a piece that's -10 at a regular interval and enough to reduce you from getting any of the equipment benefits you opted into getting.

I just don't think there's enough benefit outside of equipment for picking a side. Maybe if the tariffs were less stiff (that would make up for the measly 300 per ship they toss at my begging hands) or if I got military weapons at a reduced rate... there needs to be some extra benefit if I am going to sacrifice all of my sanity tracking down fleets to continually attack.

Does it really happen that often? I've been playing with the commissions a bit, and my faction doesn't seem to declare war THAT often. Maybe once every couple of months.

Though the first time I picked up a commission (with the Independents), they went from no special hostilities to war with the Hegemony, the Sindrian Diktat, the Luddic Church and a mod faction (Diable Avionics) within the first two weeks. That had me scrambling around a bit. Beside that madness, it's pretty smooth sailing.

Also, I've found I can often just power through the penalties. -5 every now and then hurts, but I can make that up by hitting 2-3 fleets. That's usually easy enough to do.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 06, 2015, 08:09:44 PM »

That would be convenient, usually, if you are grinding enemies in your faction's system.  On the other hand, that might lead to an uncommon case where a previously peaceful defense fleet or three turns on you and attacks before you react, possibly before you get the news, if you are elsewhere.  (For example, Sindrian fleets gang-up on you suddenly just as you are ready to shop at Sindria.)

Perhaps the safe option is to let player opt into the hostilities, so player does not rage quit if big fleets turn killer at a bad place.  Taking penalties for lack of hostilities is probably lesser of two evils than getting wiped if you are deep in friendly-turned-hostile space.

Perhaps player v faction hostilities just start on a timer? 10 days or something?

e.g. "You have declared loyalty for <faction>. <other_faction> will actively expel you from their controlled space in <number of days>".

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #322 on: December 06, 2015, 08:45:16 PM »

Smuggling investigation penalties sound like they should scale with market size.

I mean, it's hard to imagine the central Hegemony authorities really caring about even seriously destabilizing smuggling on some random size 3 station (probably happens every other week), and in the larger scheme of things the effect isn't all that significant.
But if you somehow smuggle enough to get the full 5 point penalty on Chicomoztoc and get convicted of it, you should get declared enemy of the state and go straight to vengeful status instantly.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 06, 2015, 08:47:36 PM »

Perhaps player v faction hostilities just start on a timer? 10 days or something?

e.g. "You have declared loyalty for <faction>. <other_faction> will actively expel you from their controlled space in <number of days>".

That sounds good.

Smuggling investigation penalties sound like they should scale with market size.

I mean, it's hard to imagine the central Hegemony authorities really caring about even seriously destabilizing smuggling on some random size 3 station (probably happens every other week), and in the larger scheme of things the effect isn't all that significant.
But if you somehow smuggle enough to get the full 5 point penalty on Chicomoztoc and get convicted of it, you should get declared enemy of the state and go straight to vengeful status instantly.

That also sounds good.

Troll

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 07, 2015, 02:40:43 AM »

Still haven't tried the build but I have one thing to say.
It has already been discussed a dozen pages ago but I'd like a way to tone down or maybe filter the explosions. I totally love big explosions but years ago I had something bad happen and since then I'm even more photo sensitive (not to the point of headache anymore though), which makes me squint playing in the dark to avoid blinding. Having this option would be something epileptics might appreciate as well, as multiple big ships exploding one after another blankets the screen in white repetitively.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 07, 2015, 03:01:05 AM »

That sounds good.

Hm, what I don't like about it is that you have no choice in the matter anymore. Sometimes I care more about doing my own stuff than participating in my faction's silly (or scary) wars, which would be hard with that change. Bounties, missions or explorations that lead me into the space of the other_faction (which is in some cases almost everywhere) will become very hard to reach. This is especially true if your fleet is still small (you can easily get commissioned while in the starter frigate) and you can't really trade blows with other_faction's patrols yet. And that, after all, is the time where you most need the bounties/missions to grow.

I was thinking, maybe it would be enough if you get automatically dropped to "inhospitable" with other_faction, at which point your relationship to your faction is stable. You couldn't trade with the others anymore, but still traverse their space without being outright killed. Or you can actively decide to attack and take it to "hostile", at which point your faction might "welcome you to the war" with a reputation bonus (once per war). (Rewards are always more fun than punishments.)

It would also make sense for inhospitable (and  suspicious?)  factions to make random inspections even if your transponder is on (without the old waiting bar please) so smuggling in their space gets a bit more exciting.

It has already been discussed a dozen pages ago but I'd like a way to tone down or maybe filter the explosions.

Got to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\data\config\", open the file "settings.json" with a text editor and find "enableShipExplosionWhiteout":true. Change it to false. VoilĂ  :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:39:54 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 07, 2015, 05:22:10 AM »

Ooh, I'd really like for random shakedowns to have a comeback, with some new shiny hullmods that reduce sensor profile. Would make sense to have a fleet dedicated to stealth, no? Possibly even have a whole faction dedicated to stealth. (yes, there's phase frigates) But I'd like to see a greater variation to the stealthy line of ships. Currently we only have 3 phase ships, 2 frigates and a cruiser. Maybe at least expand the lineup to a whole fighter to capital series?
"On average, a human has one breast and one testicle"
- Vsauce, Michael here

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #327 on: December 07, 2015, 05:28:24 AM »

Ooh, I'd really like for random shakedowns to have a comeback, with some new shiny hullmods that reduce sensor profile. Would make sense to have a fleet dedicated to stealth, no? Possibly even have a whole faction dedicated to stealth. (yes, there's phase frigates) But I'd like to see a greater variation to the stealthy line of ships. Currently we only have 3 phase ships, 2 frigates and a cruiser. Maybe at least expand the lineup to a whole fighter to capital series?
We have phase destroyers missing. Capitals? Dunno. Capitals don't seem to have enough mobility to disengage in time - life or death matter to a phase ship.
Fighters - see Terminator Drones on Tempest. Those little things are extremely hard to pop - the best solution is, as the Codex says, go pop the mothership. Which is waaaaay easier. Phase fighters? Going to be a nightmare.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 05:30:35 AM by Aron0621 »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 07, 2015, 05:32:33 AM »

Random shakedowns were aggravating to say the least; I am glad to see them gone!  The current way is better if you really need to sneak.

@ Gothars:  Would dropping relations down to inhospitable satisfy your faction?  If not, then this is useless since you still lose reputation with your faction.  Your idea would be good, if inhospitable is enough to keep the boss happy.

P.S.  Suggestion:  When you take a relations penalty from your faction for not being hostile with enemies, your relations with enemy factions worsen at the same time, perhaps to hostile so that you only get dinged once.  That way, you have one month grace period to get out of enemy space if you cannot handle enemy fleets.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 05:42:51 AM by Megas »

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #329 on: December 07, 2015, 05:58:00 AM »

Currently not. Need to be at hostile level it seems.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 39