Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 39

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 291523 times)

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #285 on: December 06, 2015, 12:53:05 PM »

Yeah, conceptually I think commissions make sense for them. It's more a question of it becoming rather inconvenient to be hostile to them.
Code
	"custom":{
"allowsTransponderOffTrade":true,
"offersCommissions":true,
"engagesInHostilities":false,

Seems to work okay.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 06, 2015, 12:57:54 PM »

Problem with that is, you pick an independent commission, and then you're stuck with not having any faction-level enemies.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 06, 2015, 01:17:37 PM »

Oooh, so that's why I can't play anymore :(. Welp, cya all another time guys, it was great while it lasted. Cheers ;)
Some people have no shame or decency...

When you have the choice between paying 15 euros or googling "Starsector key", I think it's pretty obvious.
I'm not going to lie, I was using one of the banned keys, but I bought the game after I realized the key was banned.
That's probably how he found the keys, too. A simple google search.
I didn't want to buy the game because it's still not complete, and I've had only bad experiences with unreleased titles.
In my opinion, "early access" games should be free, you're basically asking people to pay to betatest your game, which is wrong.
I would have bought the game on release anyway, since I really enjoyed it as it's very similar to SPAZ which is a game I played for around 150 hours.

I'll probably get banned for this but I don't mind, at least I was honest.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 06, 2015, 01:33:42 PM »

No talking about software piracy here, full stop. It's against the forum rules and will result in disciplinary action.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 01:37:48 PM by Gothars »

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 06, 2015, 01:38:18 PM »

Problem with that is, you pick an independent commission, and then you're stuck with not having any faction-level enemies.

Does a commission force you to be neutral or friendly to others as well as enforcing hostility?
If it doesn't you can still make your own trouble.
If it does deserter bounties still pop up frequently enough. (Eventually.)

Tbh, it doesn't really matter if Independants have a commission or not as access is still dependant on maintaining decent rep with them either way. (it would be a nice flavour addition though.)
Maybe it would be better mechanically to do without it though. I'll keep going with this and see how it plays out.

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 06, 2015, 01:38:36 PM »

Gothars! I see what you did there... :D

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 06, 2015, 01:42:51 PM »

In my opinion, "early access" games should be free, you're basically asking people to pay to betatest your game, which is wrong.
Yeah right, and you should never pay MMO subcriptions because the game will always continue to evolve, or teachers because you always learn something new everyday, or doctors because you are still going to die someday...

(But my remark was less about his choice and more about rubbing it in the face of the developer.)

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 06, 2015, 01:50:50 PM »

Yeah right, and you should never pay MMO subcriptions because the game will always continue to evolve, or teachers because you always learn something new everyday, or doctors because you are still going to die someday...

(But my remark was less about his choice and more about rubbing it in the face of the developer.)
MMOs need steady income for server infrastructure. Teachers and doctors I'm not even going to bother as they're ridiculous comparisons. Last time I checked, a playtester was actually paid to play a game, not the other way around. I know every penny helps development, but 15 to 20 euros is what I'd pay for a finished product. If the game was free to download and play and donations were possible I would have actually donated 5 euros.
As I said, I bought the game now, can even show you the mail if you so desire. I'm just very cautious as to where I spend my money since many other "early access" titles never took off, and some of them stopped development altogether. If you have an infinite supply of money, good for you. But 15 euros for me is potentially two other (finished) games.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 06, 2015, 02:05:18 PM »

(He did indeed buy the game. Thanks for your support, btw!)

Feedback/bug reports are useful and great, and I appreciate them very much, but no-one is obligated to provide those, and I make every effort to make individual releases playable and enjoyable stand-alone. Plus there's the "minor" point that preorders are what allows the game to exist at all - saying it ought to be free is, in real terms, saying it shouldn't exist. Is this a good opportunity to thank everyone involved for their support? I think it is. So: thank you! It makes a  huge, huge difference, and I'm very grateful.

Now, let's stay on topic!

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 06, 2015, 02:16:57 PM »

Alex, could you please tell us the reason behind increasing the sensor profiles for (D) hulls? I think it is really unnecessary to further affirm their status of being the worst ships in the game.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 06, 2015, 02:27:19 PM »

Alex, could you please tell us the reason behind increasing the sensor profiles for (D) hulls? I think it is really unnecessary to further affirm their status of being the worst ships in the game.

In-fiction reason: leaky reactors, "noisy" (in terms of emissions) engines, etc.

Gameplay reason: make the primary early-game enemy - i.e. pirates - easier to see. Early-game fleet visibility range was an issue.

If you're looking at (D) hulls as something the player ought to be using right now... don't :) I'm not necessarily opposed to making them a viable choice in certain situations, but right now they're not, and it's very much not the reason they were put in the game in the first place. They exist to make pirates easier to fight.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 06, 2015, 02:37:29 PM »

They exist to make pirates easier to fight.

Which is funny, because the olden Buffalo MK.II/Hound pirates were easier to fight than the current D-Enforcers/-Wolfs/-Kites combos. Not that I'm complaining about the challenge (and added variety)...

BTW, I think the problem I've run into most often in .7 was being caught with my transponder offline while not being aware that it was offline. There were some suggestions about that, like an altered fleet circle to indicate its status. Something like that for .2 would be really nice :)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 03:24:36 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 06, 2015, 02:38:06 PM »

Feedback/bug reports are useful and great, and I appreciate them very much, but no-one is obligated to provide those, and I make every effort to make individual releases playable and enjoyable stand-alone. Plus there's the "minor" point that preorders are what allows the game to exist at all - saying it ought to be free is, in real terms, saying it shouldn't exist.

Feedback and bug reports are what early access is for. I don't expect to have a bug free game, and I report bugs that I find. That's how the product will improve. Currently the only way for people to test your game, is to either do what I did previously, which is obviously not a good thing to do, or buy the game. If I can't try it out it's very hard for me to judge how good it is. And to be perfectly honest once again, I bought it because I was able to test it and see that it's already good and enjoyable despite being in alpha. Had I not found this "alternate" way of testing, the game would have stayed in my "currently monitoring" folder in my browser, or my wishlist on Steam if it had been on it. Demo versions are something of the past now, but they were the best way to make people buy your game. I actually bought SPAZ soon after trying the demo. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered and would have missed out on a very good game, and also this one, since it's SPAZ that got my interested in that type of game.

edit: I understand I should probably stop talking about that, so if you want to continue via PM send me one.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 02:44:31 PM by Euphytose »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 06, 2015, 02:41:04 PM »

BTW, I think the problem I've run into most often in .7 was being caught with my transponder offline while not being aware that it was offline. There were some suggestions about that, like an altered fleet circle to indicate its status. Something like that for .2 would be really nice :)
I vote for the player color being the old Flashy Happy Green when transponder is on and that new Shady Sneaky Smuggler-like grey when it's off.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 06, 2015, 02:42:04 PM »

Can we have "defending yourself from pirate attack, not pursuing them, and even allowing the escape of their disabled & capturable ship" not result in a -2 reputation hit?
It doesn't seem particularly reasonable for the pirates to begrudge you defending yourself, and allowing their wounded to flee should count for something, no?

On the road to being a pirate, the biggest obstacle is in fact the pirates themselves!
Earning enough rep with the pirates through trading/smuggling/missions, while simultaneously *never* being engaged by *any* of their fleets can be quite..... tiresome.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 39