Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 39

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 291519 times)

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
Re: Starsector 0.7.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #210 on: December 05, 2015, 05:57:03 AM »

Commission has no effect. Presumably a bug.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 05, 2015, 06:22:05 AM »

I'm not getting any money from bounty fleet kills. All it says is that something unrelated has taken care of the fleet. I am not commissioned to any faction yet, is that the problem?

Hi,

Sometimes there's a time delay in payment, because you're far away from a hyperspace relay. But this sounds more like a bug. It would probably help to track it down if you could send your save file to fractalsoftworks [at] gmail [dot] com.

You'll normally find the save under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\saves".
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 05, 2015, 06:25:08 AM »

I'm not getting any money from bounty fleet kills. All it says is that something unrelated has taken care of the fleet. I am not commissioned to any faction yet, is that the problem?

Hi,

Sometimes there's a time delay in payment, because you're far away from a hyperspace relay. But this sounds more like a bug. It would probably help to track it down if you could send your save file to fractalsoftworks [at] gmail [dot] com.

You'll normally find the save under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\saves".
Sounds like you aren't experiencing it.... Right?

miljan

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7.1a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #213 on: December 05, 2015, 06:44:00 AM »

Eh, I like it; whether it's "bad" or not is very much subjective. Can see how it could be annoying if you're playing in the dark or have more sensitive eyesight, though. Or, heck, if you just don't like it. But making it a proper settings toggle seems iffy to me - it's a slight advantage to have it off, so you'd probably want to do it regardless of how you feel about it, at which point you might as well remove it entirely. Which brings us back to the point re: me liking it.

Actually do people like something or not is a subjective thing. How effects look, models and similar can be objectively looked at. In this case, this effect is nothing more than a white screen for a second, compare that to something like a multi explosions with maybe parts falling apart after the ship is destroyed, the effect objectively looks bad.

Its your game, and you will make it how you like the best, but when it comes to graphical options, I suggest you first to consider that this is not a competitive pvp game, and second more important, you should not look at graphic options do they bring benefit or not, but offer as much as possible customization as you can. Its a very strange logic to say because the game works better without that effect, you should not put it as option in the game and force it on everyone that doesnt look at mods. You can as easy pretty much say that playing the game on minimum graphics options players get benefit as they will have higher frame rate, so let's remove all options (or whenb a lot of games have camera shake, or motion blurs, and most of them its a toggle option, even for competitive online games).

Put that option in so people can easily remove it, and dont leave it as config option in files that people need to mess around.  

The effect is problematic because of three things, it doesnt look good (its only a white scree), it happens to often (change it to happen only when capitals are destroyed) and third you cant see anything. Best effects and explosions are those where you can actually see what is happening and how a ship is destroyed/falls apart.

Anyway the new update made the game a lot more fun, and starting from beginning feels less tedious with a lot more things i can find to fight. Also love that I get $$$ for killing enemies of my allies.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 06:45:44 AM by miljan »

Psilous

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 05, 2015, 06:55:50 AM »

I looked at the package contents of the application in the Applications folder, but all folders apart from the main one are empty. So no mods (not that I had any), saves (I had a lot), or anything else.

Time to start again, I guess.  I won't be updating any more unless I can be sure that saved games are properly saved.

You need to open the package and only copy over the contents folder to replace the old one. Otherwise you will replace all of your saves and everything you liked so much.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 05, 2015, 07:20:20 AM »

Seems hostility event occur too often... Now everyone is at war with everyone if Luddic Path declare crusade to CGR.

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 05, 2015, 07:40:12 AM »

Yeah, same here.

ror

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 05, 2015, 07:55:48 AM »

I looked at the package contents of the application in the Applications folder, but all folders apart from the main one are empty. So no mods (not that I had any), saves (I had a lot), or anything else.

Time to start again, I guess.  I won't be updating any more unless I can be sure that saved games are properly saved.

You need to open the package and only copy over the contents folder to replace the old one. Otherwise you will replace all of your saves and everything you liked so much.

I realise that now, too late to save Chocomatic and his fleet though...  :'(

AlexMaugrim

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 05, 2015, 08:24:07 AM »

Hi,

I've sent it, thanks.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 05, 2015, 08:25:50 AM »

I'm on OSX though, so is there any way to find a backup in OSX? Appreciate your help in any case!
An install on OS X is just copying a folder into place - none of this windows everything-has-to-be-in-the-registry nonsense.  To preserve saves, you have to show package contents and pull the saves folder out of the old copy, otherwise it's overwritten.

That said, even in case where you didn't do that, you can still get some of your progress back - load up the console commands mod and use it to grant yourself the requisite character level, key ships, reputation levels, cash, etc.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

gruberscomplete

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 05, 2015, 09:03:51 AM »

YOUR GAME LAGS

I set max market concurrent=0 and increased all fleets maximum by a factor of 10.

In .65 I could have 5000 fleets without lagging, now I can only have 500 with serious lag???
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 09:20:15 AM by gruberscomplete »
Click here for FREE ships!               Plentysector               Robots With Souls

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 05, 2015, 09:35:48 AM »

I realise that now, too late to save Chocomatic and his fleet though...  :'(

Ugh, sorry :( I'll try to remember to mention OS X/Linux in the future when talking about save compatibility. Just didn't occur to me; was only thinking about whether old saves would be compatible, not what you'd need to do to transfer them over on OS X.

I've sent it, thanks.

Thank you, looking at it. Think I'll need to hotfix this one, too.

Psilous

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 05, 2015, 09:44:49 AM »

Ugh, sorry :( I'll try to remember to mention OS X/Linux in the future when talking about save compatibility. Just didn't occur to me; was only thinking about whether old saves would be compatible, not what you'd need to do to transfer them over on OS X.

Would it be possible to move the saves folder into a library/application support/fractalsoftworks folder?

This is the industry standard way of placing saves on OSX and would prevent this from happening in the future.

Cinth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 05, 2015, 10:04:43 AM »

Anyone else having problems getting paid for bounties?   I've hunted down quite a few and either get nothing or a fraction of the posted listing.

I'm running a commission from Hegemony.  I did one for Luddic (0/100) and got nadda.  I did several for Hegemony and I'm getting 1500 - 2700 credits.  All of these should have been easy 20k hunts. 

It's turning out to not be an easy go of it as a bounty hunter.  In one go at it I had 2 20k hunts in PS.  I figure from Corvus I can make it if I buy up what supplies I could with the 3300 I have and the little I have from pirate hunting at the start.  I set out with ~80 supplies and plenty of fuel.  Between the two bounties some needed repairs and the trip to EE I ended up with no supplies and about 8700 credits.  Well short of the 40k I was expecting.  Those help wanted signs need to come with the disclaimer that you might not get paid in full  ::)

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 05, 2015, 10:15:14 AM »

Would it be possible to move the saves folder into a library/application support/fractalsoftworks folder?

This is the industry standard way of placing saves on OSX and would prevent this from happening in the future.

yes this needs to be done-- keeping saves inside the program itself is unusual and not optimal for additional reason: Multiple user accounts on 1 computer.

Programs are usually stored in /Applications/ to be accessible to all user accounts on the computer, so the saves, prefs, etc should be stored separately for each user so people can't accidentally screw up each other's saved games and keybindings.

It should be in something like Users/<yourusername>/Library/Application Support/StarSector/Saves

There should also be subfolders for logs, screenshots, etc in the same place. Mods probably not, since having to have a bunch of copies of the same mod in every user directory seems dumb.

edit:
com.fs.starfarer.plist has the key bindings, active save, active mods from launcher prefs, etc in /Users/<yourusername>/Library/Preferences.  This is good, kudos.

But the serial number is also there which would mean you have to reenter the serial number for each user account on the computer. this serial number should probably separately be in <hard drive>/Library/Preferences so all users don't have to reenter the serial number.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 10:23:48 AM by nomadic_leader »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 39