Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 39

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 291545 times)

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7.1a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #150 on: December 04, 2015, 12:47:21 PM »

I'd be fine with giving it a slight damage buff and reducing its OP cost down a few points. Phase Lance could also use a little bit more range so it's not just in every way inferior to the Pulse Laser. Didn't it have 650 range before?

Anyway.. just found an Astral at Hybrasil Astropolis. Helloooo.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 04, 2015, 12:53:48 PM »

Phase Beam had 700 range.  Current Phase Lance has only 600 range and is totally outclassed by Pulse Laser.  The only time Phase Lance is good is if you can support it with Advanced Optics, then it becomes very good (because Adv. Optics enables a few ships to kite enemies with a Needler and Phase Lance combo).  However, seven points for Advanced Optics is a high opportunity cost just to make Phase Lance viable.

Unfolder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 04, 2015, 12:54:19 PM »

for the hotfix, are you supposed to uninstall then reinstall?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2015, 12:55:39 PM »

You should be able to just install on top of it - the installer deletes the old version automatically prior to installing the new one. It occasionally fails for, let's call it "windows reasons", but in my experience it's rare.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 04, 2015, 12:56:16 PM »

I plan to uninstall then do a clean install.

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 04, 2015, 12:57:33 PM »

You should be able to just install on top of it - the installer deletes the old version automatically prior to installing the new one. It occasionally fails for, let's call it "windows reasons", but in my experience it's rare.
Savegames will work, right?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 04, 2015, 12:57:54 PM »

Phase Beam had 700 range.  Current Phase Lance has only 600 range and is totally outclassed by Pulse Laser.  The only time Phase Lance is good is if you can support it with Advanced Optics, then it becomes very good (because Adv. Optics enables a few ships to kite enemies with a Needler and Phase Lance combo).  However, seven points for Advanced Optics is a high opportunity cost just to make Phase Lance viable.

Disagree - the phase lance fits an entirely different tactical profile than the pulse laser. It is anti armor/overload where the Pulse Laser is constant pressure. Which one is better depends completely on what you have backing it up and what you're fighting.

@patch: sweet.

Unfolder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 04, 2015, 12:59:16 PM »

just reporting on windows 7, got some instability on trying to run 0.7.1a exe after uninstalling 0.7, will try again

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 04, 2015, 12:59:45 PM »

Save games will work.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 04, 2015, 01:02:11 PM »

Savegames will work, right?

Yes, they should. Meaning I did stuff to make sure they do, and tested it, but there may be some set of circumstances where they don't. Kind of a standard disclaimed on me doing anything, though :)

Is it normal that we have to redownload and reinstall the whole thing once again? I don't mind since I have unlimited bandwidth but for other people this might be a problem.

Yeah, that's how it works at the moment. Having some kind of auto-updater thing would be a lot of time spent working on it which I think would be better spent on the game proper. If/when it's on Steam, that'd be come a lot less relevant, too.

The game is like 300 megs; I really hope thats not a problem.

Hah, scared me. It's only 150ish.

Re: Tachyon Lance - it's on my list of things to look at for 0.7.2a.

just reporting on windows 7, got some instability on trying to run 0.7.1a exe after uninstalling 0.7, will try again

What do you mean by instability?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 04, 2015, 01:03:44 PM »

@ Thaago:  If Phase Lance did hard flux damage, I would agree.  Since it does not, you cannot punch above your weight with it, unless you are a Paragon who can focus-fire more than two or three.  I tried Phase Lance Wolf, and it struggled against a Hammerhead because of no hard flux damage.  With Pulse Laser, enemy Hammerhead was much easier because I had a source of hard flux damage to overcome shields.

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2015, 01:04:21 PM »

Already loving the faction commissions  :-*

Unfolder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 04, 2015, 01:04:36 PM »

I might be being real dumb here, but when I click the download to windows link on the front plog post, it downloads something that is 153 megs, when I double click on it, it goes into an infinitie loop wait icon and nothing else happens, computer still running but the program itself is stuck in statis. keep in mind i uninstalled everything

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 04, 2015, 01:09:43 PM »

Already loving the faction commissions  :-*

:D

I might be being real dumb here, but when I click the download to windows link on the front plog post, it downloads something that is 153 megs, when I double click on it, it goes into an infinitie loop wait icon and nothing else happens, computer still running but the program itself is stuck in statis. keep in mind i uninstalled everything

Ah, hmm. I'd suggest rebooting, perhaps? Or trying to download from a different browser? This sounds like it's failing before the installer can even really run.

Unfolder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 04, 2015, 01:14:21 PM »

foop foop ran as admin now working score one for basic computer literacy
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 39