Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 39

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 291579 times)

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7.1a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2015, 08:54:08 AM »

Maybe, devs should reconsider chances of boarding?  ::) Current 5% chance is too low and makes boarding feature (marines) in game totally useless. I've changed chances to 20% and it makes sense now.
Wait, how do I do that?
Find settings.json in Starsector\starsector-core\data\config, search for the variable boardingchance, and change the value from 0.05 to 0.2 (or whatever other value you desire). Note that these are decimal equivalents of the percentage chance to have the ability to board the ship.

Unfolder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2015, 09:43:56 AM »

What if all ships were theoretically boardable, or "salvageable" after a fight. You would need to repair them at your base of course, and supply a lot of materials for the truly mangled ones. Boarding actions could vary based on how badly damaged ships were, with ships that still have a lot of armor and werent pushed far into "overkill" territory (completely blow up) be much more likely to be operational whereas ships that were wrecked be much more dangerous to board. Also there could  be more marine complements in less damaged ships. You could do mini-text adventure type events, you round the corner-ambush!-security drones pour out of the wrecked air vents-muwhahhaha.

also marines could gain experience the way crew do, to better deal with these shenanigans

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2015, 10:00:37 AM »

Tempest (and Hyperion) almost needs Extended Shields - get it.  You better have a good reason not to use Extended Shields.

Honest answer;  a max-skilled augmented engined Tempest is borderline uncontrollable to me, so I just hand it off to the AI, which is generally a twitch master with shields (especially on a ship fast enough to generally not get hit).  Getting EMP'ed through shields is pretty much the only time it's a problem, and I could probably just solve that by putting a cautious officer into it since my current Tempest loadout is twin Phase Lances with advanced optics and an officer with Gunnery implants.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2015, 11:42:52 AM »

What if all ships were theoretically boardable, or "salvageable" after a fight. You would need to repair them at your base of course, and supply a lot of materials for the truly mangled ones. Boarding actions could vary based on how badly damaged ships were, with ships that still have a lot of armor and werent pushed far into "overkill" territory (completely blow up) be much more likely to be operational whereas ships that were wrecked be much more dangerous to board. Also there could  be more marine complements in less damaged ships. You could do mini-text adventure type events, you round the corner-ambush!-security drones pour out of the wrecked air vents-muwhahhaha.

also marines could gain experience the way crew do, to better deal with these shenanigans

There's this pervasive fixation folk have regarding minigames for boarding.
Maybe they'd be fun the first few times you did them, but they will quickly become a chore that just got in the way of playing the actual game. Just another thing to be run a quickly as possible, or more likely skipped altogether.

The single best thing that could be done for the boarding is to crib from SS+ and have back-to-back boarding events for every disabled ship that passes the RNG for any given battle.
Then the 5% doesn't matter as you get multiple rolls every battle instead of just one.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2015, 11:54:49 AM »

Found simple, repeatable bug/issue.  The Tempest's shield arc is too small to protect it from an Omen's EMP emitter.  It will get fried every time it comes near, even with its shields up.  I'm not sure if this part is a bug or an intended interaction, but if the latter is the case then the issue is that the Tempest doesn't know its shields won't work and will willingly, repeatedly bring itself into EMP range to get its engines turned off.

Thanks - taking a look right now. Seems to be an issue with the threat range of the EMP system being too low - once the shield is fully up, it does a good job blocking the arc, but it just doesn't raise it early enough to always work.

Edit: fixed. It was treating ship system threat as "missile" threat by accident, which made it not raise shields unless there was a direct missile danger or threat from other non-missile weapons...

@Gothars
I assumed that:
1)Bonus is applied only if positive
2)Bonus is calculated once per fleet, not per ship

So:
now -> min 4 total -> +max(0, 4-profile)

(1,1) -> (4,1) -> (4,1) normal frigate
(4,1) -> (4,1) -> (7,1) single Omen
(0.5,2) -> (4, 2) -> (2.5, 2) single civilian frigate
(16,4) -> (16,4) -> (16,4) four Omens, unaffected either way

Yep, that's exactly how it works.

Can you answer a little question : Does the damage buff and such only apply to the piloted ship or every ship of my fleet ( since its altered to the current game option )

Just your piloted ship.

and maybe you might consider giving us a little more flexibility in choosing the difficulty other then editing the files.
Like adding a simple question for each of the settings.

The issue there is that you're asking a new player to make choices about things before they know what those things are. "A la carte" settings are also more troublesome from a feedback/debugging/meaningful discussion point of view.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 12:23:30 PM by Alex »

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2015, 12:35:36 PM »

• Fixed issue where combat tutorials would end automatically after a couple of minutes
Damn it!, i'm an awful alpha tester.  I noticed this earlier on and I didn't report it.  Instead of reporting it I just tried to play through the tutorial faster (which actually worked).

There was something else I noticed; the movement of ships on the map sometimes have a spinning movement to them...it looks rather crazy so I don't think it is intentional, since the rate of change in direction is very fast (it's part of the reason those fleeing fleets are so difficult to catch).  I thought I saw you posted something earlier showing a ship on the map just spinning around in circles, but I can't locate that one again.  Anyway that was similar to the movement I observed.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2015, 08:15:01 PM »

and maybe you might consider giving us a little more flexibility in choosing the difficulty other then editing the files.
Like adding a simple question for each of the settings.

The issue there is that you're asking a new player to make choices about things before they know what those things are. "A la carte" settings are also more troublesome from a feedback/debugging/meaningful discussion point of view.
Well, couldn't you just offer Easy, Standard, and Custom choices when choosing difficulty, where the custom option allows individual choices while Easy and Standard are still fixed? So if new players don't have any idea of what the options do, they can still pick "easy" or "standard"?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2015, 10:39:57 PM »

• Fixed issue where combat tutorials would end automatically after a couple of minutes
Damn it!, i'm an awful alpha tester.  I noticed this earlier on and I didn't report it.  Instead of reporting it I just tried to play through the tutorial faster (which actually worked).

It's all good. Can't really expect everyone to report everything; I just really appreciate the reports I do get :)

There was something else I noticed; the movement of ships on the map sometimes have a spinning movement to them...it looks rather crazy so I don't think it is intentional, since the rate of change in direction is very fast (it's part of the reason those fleeing fleets are so difficult to catch).  I thought I saw you posted something earlier showing a ship on the map just spinning around in circles, but I can't locate that one again.  Anyway that was similar to the movement I observed.

Not quite sure what you mean - that is, haven't seen it myself. Unless we're talking with emergency burn, that can get a little crazy sometimes...

Well, couldn't you just offer Easy, Standard, and Custom choices when choosing difficulty, where the custom option allows individual choices while Easy and Standard are still fixed? So if new players don't have any idea of what the options do, they can still pick "easy" or "standard"?

There's still the "more troublesome from a feedback/debugging/meaningful discussion point of view" part. You can still tweak it via settings.json if it's something you really care about, though.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2015, 01:09:33 AM »

Not quite sure what you mean - that is, haven't seen it myself. Unless we're talking with emergency burn, that can get a little crazy sometimes...

I'm pretty certain this occurs when other fleets engage emergency burn.   I've seen on occasion this weird spiral escape pattern (like a corkscrew placed on it's side, ie tilted spiral).

Most of the times I see this weirdness it is probably just as you describe: 'crazy sometimes...'

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2015, 01:48:03 AM »

Question - with economy being fixed in 0.7.1, what effect would [the massive stockpiles caused by 0.7.0] have on the game economy?

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2015, 06:21:16 AM »

I'm pretty certain this occurs when other fleets engage emergency burn.   I've seen on occasion this weird spiral escape pattern (like a corkscrew placed on it's side, ie tilted spiral).

Most of the times I see this weirdness it is probably just as you describe: 'crazy sometimes...'

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is due to damaged/failing engines from low combat readyness, as if one side of the engine is out, and they push an emergency burn, they will start turning because of uneven thrust. which is kind of awesome and hilarious.
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

Unfolder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2015, 07:13:12 AM »

There's this pervasive fixation folk have regarding minigames for boarding.
Maybe they'd be fun the first few times you did them, but they will quickly become a chore that just got in the way of playing the actual game. Just another thing to be run a quickly as possible, or more likely skipped altogether.

I mean, lol, okay, that's a funny critique. "Boarding games would SUCK, boarding already SUCKS with the minimum amount of work, no need for further improvements in the work to suck ratio"

I mean, idk, boarding is repeatedly hyped as critical to the game's final form, particularly in regards to capturing these blueprints or w/e, but the thing consistently hasn't been fleshed out and is horribly griefy and it's just funny, cause of all the things that could be fleshed out and ungriefed with the minimum of effort, a thing which is essentially a text adventure with some maths would seem to be high on the "low hanging fruit" list. I mean, text adventures can be quite fun, and given the huge number of ships and possible iterations of situations, you could add a "random generator" system that could create a huge number of situations. For example, boarding in hyperspace, around planets, in asteroid belts could be very dangerous, attacking troop transports could potentially be disasterous as a compartment full of marines you didn't scan burst forth, tri-taychon ships could use advanced robot defenses, on and on and that's just one minute of off the cuff ideas. Plus it provides a huge avenue of potential logistics skills, boarding actions, crew manuver, officers could provide buffs to their crews, with aggressive officers suicide bombing the marines and timid officers immediately surrending, lol.

idk w/e maybe starsector was just designed to have crappy griefy boarding actions okay lol that's cool i guess reach for those stars

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2015, 07:22:51 AM »

I mean, lol, okay, that's a funny critique. "Boarding games would SUCK, boarding already SUCKS with the minimum amount of work, no need for further improvements in the work to suck ratio"

I mean, idk, boarding is repeatedly hyped as critical to the game's final form, particularly in regards to capturing these blueprints or w/e, but the thing consistently hasn't been fleshed out and is horribly griefy and it's just funny, cause of all the things that could be fleshed out and ungriefed with the minimum of effort, a thing which is essentially a text adventure with some maths would seem to be high on the "low hanging fruit" list. I mean, text adventures can be quite fun, and given the huge number of ships and possible iterations of situations, you could add a "random generator" system that could create a huge number of situations. For example, boarding in hyperspace, around planets, in asteroid belts could be very dangerous, attacking troop transports could potentially be disasterous as a compartment full of marines you didn't scan burst forth, tri-taychon ships could use advanced robot defenses, on and on and that's just one minute of off the cuff ideas. Plus it provides a huge avenue of potential logistics skills, boarding actions, crew manuver, officers could provide buffs to their crews, with aggressive officers suicide bombing the marines and timid officers immediately surrending, lol.

idk w/e maybe starsector was just designed to have crappy griefy boarding actions okay lol that's cool i guess reach for those stars

Yes the boarding mechanic in SS is pretty useless and should be changed, but relax a bit :).  The issue with the minigames is that SS is a game about exploring the sector, trading, and fighting. If a boarding minigame becomes too elaborate, then SS becomes about boarding spaceships, and maybe that isn't what the developer wants to make a game about, and maybe it isn't what people want to play when they're in the middle of doing other stuff. You could make a whole separate game just about ship to ship boarding combat.

Have you ever played Escape Velocity (old) or Endless Sky (new)? That's all the boarding needs to be - a single dialog box but with a way to pick which ships you board, and some fairly transparent method of figuring out the odds. And  doesn't interrupt the flow of the rest of the game, unlike some dwarf fortress complex boarding minigame.

But the thing is, this should all go on the suggestions forum, not here. There are a bunch of threads there about this you can read first for background also.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 07:24:41 AM by nomadic_leader »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2015, 12:35:42 PM »

Question - with economy being fixed in 0.7.1, what effect would [the massive stockpiles caused by 0.7.0] have on the game economy?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "economy being fixed". They'd have no effect, though. They didn't before, either. It was just a presentation issue - seems like if you have a ton of stuff on the open market, people tend to assume there's a glut and prices are low, even if they aren't. There was just more stuff on the open markets due to the scale of the economy being larger due to more/larger markets being in play.

(The thing with the Mimir Siphon Platform having *that* many volatiles seems like it was a bug somewhere, though.)

Kzanu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2015, 01:42:22 PM »

Any change for an eta for that update? I would really love to play even more version .7 but the stuttering issue is really breaking my fun.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 39