Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 39

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 291578 times)

Twogs

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7.1a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2015, 07:25:44 AM »

• Gryphon:
    • Reduced ordnance points by 15
    • Missile Autoforge:
      • Increased flux generation
      • Limited to 1 use per battle
      • Removed CR cost
Sounds to me like a doubling of ammunition at best, almost nothing at worst (read: to early, AI).

Why not make the system incredible difficult to use, but unlimited?

Like:
75% Hard Flux generation
50% Missiles Refilled
10 sec duration of refill while hard flux can't be dissipated/vented

This way you can't just spam missiles in the midst of battle (you would be overloaded and dead pretty soon) but it can still be used to constantly put out missiles in a prolonged battle, if the Gryphon manages to get a quite few seconds

(Why does this always end with)[/list]

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2015, 07:32:45 AM »

Unlimited as suggested would make it like the old unlimited Fast Missile Racks and 500 damage Salamanders combo of doom.  In other words, stupidly overpowered.

With less OP, maybe it would be nice if Gryphon has more base max flux.  5000 makes it easy to overload.  It is almost starved for OP if you want Safety Override on it.

Actually, that could be one more nerf for Gryphon:  Disable Safety Override for it because missiles do not get the range penalty, and the ballistics will probably be filled with short-ranged Vulcans and Flak.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2015, 07:45:20 AM »

If Missile Nanoforge can only be used once for battle, why not replace it by adding a builtin hullmod that doubles missile capacity (and is multiplicative with Expanded Missile Racks)?  That way, the ship has all the missiles available without wastage by premature use, especially by AI.  Then the ship system can be set to flares or none.

EDIT:  Scratch that idea, maybe.  Player with high Missile Specialization might get less one-shot Reapers per mount to brutalize fleets with if Missile Nanoforge is implemented as an extra capacity hullmod.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 07:49:02 AM by Megas »

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2015, 07:51:27 AM »

Really like the sound of a lot of the changes re: factions and relationships. Campaign is a lot of fun this version and it sounds like 0.7.1 will only make it better. The faction hostility events sound awesome, this is really what people have been asking for - the ability to mess around with the game world.

Few things-

Why remove rep decay? This seems like a good way to forgive/encourage experimentation by the player. Unless you read the forums religiously, you won't know all the rules about factions and relationships; neither do I think that the game should explicitly tell you all these things. Leaving it opaque is fine, but the decay is a mechanic to make sure it isn't too punishing.

There is a Pirate market on Umbra as someone mentioned. Pirates deserve to have their special market so the faction maintains some kind of viability. Getting accepted by the pirates should be hard, and it is, but there should still be rewards for it. Commissions don't fit them, but leave some other way to get into the market by rep alone?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2015, 08:03:38 AM »

•Timid officers behave as if they were cautious if only timid officers/non-combat ships are deployed
Does the player count as an officer for this purpose?  If so, what personality does the game assume the player to be?

Sometimes, in early game, I pilot non-combat ships optimized enough for combat to be mildly effective, or at least to destroy other non-combat ships.

Unfolder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2015, 08:26:44 AM »

If so, what personality does the game assume the player to be?

Spoiler
[close]

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2015, 08:29:57 AM »

•Timid officers behave as if they were cautious if only timid officers/non-combat ships are deployed
Does the player count as an officer for this purpose?  If so, what personality does the game assume the player to be?

Steady.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2015, 08:32:49 AM »

?Small monthly reputation penalties for being hostile with neutral factions, and for not being hostile to faction enemies
One more question:  Hostile includes Vengeful too?  It would be silly if I lose reputation with my faction enemies if they hate me too much.

@ Unfolder: Funny as that classic clip is, that would probably be treated as an Aggressive officer if shoehorned into one of the four options available.  But that does not answer the question I posted earlier.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2015, 08:33:25 AM »

@Megas: That change was, I'm guessing, meant as a bug fix for a case where someone randomly encountered a group of pirates who'd rolled all timid commanders and essentially got trolled by pirates who wouldn't fight.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2015, 08:44:05 AM »

Ah, yes; I remember.  Of all of the officer types to fight against, the most obnoxious personality is timid.  In a big, slow cruiser, an timid enemy ship is of little threat, but it constant taunts you by staying out of your weapons range.  You cannot totally ignore it because it will steal your captured point if you leave it.  The worst case scenario, I wait minutes until the timid ship runs out of CR and loses its engines, then I kill it.  Aggravating as it is, I cannot blame the AI for doing that, I put a timid officer in a Tempest precisely for that purpose!  That is, to capture points when it is safe or to avoid combat entirely if it is not.

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2015, 08:53:03 AM »

Do timid officers ever fire their weapons, then? Also, is their hiring cost affected by their personality? I hadn't had the opportunity to discern.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2015, 08:55:51 AM »

Yes, timid officers shoot if forced into a fight, or if they have long-range missiles.  One thing I should try is a fleet of ten Vigilance with level 20 timid officers, and see how well they Pilum spam.

No, personality has no effect on their hiring cost of level * 2000 credits.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2015, 09:18:39 AM »

One more question:  Do non-combat ships piloted by Aggressive officers count as combat ships for the purpose of toggling Cautious for Timid officers?

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2015, 09:21:15 AM »

Yes, they should; if they don't, it's an oversight for sure.

Actually, no. Read the patch notes again.  :-[

Regarding the Vigilance fleet: Not quite as good as the H-team were, but my money goes on a whopping success. Delicious spam  :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 09:23:11 AM by SpacePoliticianAndaZealot »

Zaskow

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2015, 09:29:14 AM »

Maybe, devs should reconsider chances of boarding?  ::) Current 5% chance is too low and makes boarding feature (marines) in game totally useless. I've changed chances to 20% and it makes sense now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 39