Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 39

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 291568 times)

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7.1a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #180 on: December 04, 2015, 05:04:34 PM »

No no, keep the explosions just like they are. They're so awesome.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 04, 2015, 05:04:47 PM »

Can you make the shift key behavior a toggle instead of a keep pressed to use? Right now I set AD to strafe and I use the reverse behavior, basically the game plays exactly like SPAZ, which is perfect. However, when I get bigger ships, I'm pretty sure I will have to use the standard mode for some weapons.

Maybe add a tickbox to either make shift a toggle or current behavior? Or add another key that does that, that I could bind to CTRL for example.

Concerning the explosions, I do find them annoying. Mostly because it's 100% white with seemingly no transparency. I'm going to use SPAZ as an example again, but this game did "big explosions" right. Not too intrusive, massive, and also an indicator of near explosion danger.

Reduce the whiteness, increase transparency, or limit it to the actual damage zone, this would be much better.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 05:17:13 PM by Euphytose »

JT

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 04, 2015, 05:06:08 PM »

Is this how people normally tell Alex on how to make changes to the game? Maybe I'm just new here but it seems to set the tone of saying the developer doesn't know what he's doing. Though I believe otherwise.

I've been known to be pretty bad for this too. I chalk it up to momentary indignance and forgetting to wait a bit before posting angrily. Well, that and I'm a frothing loon half the time. ;-P

But yeah, I think the explosions are one of the selling points of the game, actually. They're extremely satisfying.

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 04, 2015, 05:11:34 PM »

"Why should I buy Starsector?"

"It has... Explosions"

"*drools* must... buy..."

Interesting conversation ain't it? Hahaha.
But seriously though, is the incapacitation caused by the screen whiteout an actual difficulty thing?
"On average, a human has one breast and one testicle"
- Vsauce, Michael here

Morrigi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 04, 2015, 05:22:09 PM »

I like the big explosions.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #185 on: December 04, 2015, 05:24:42 PM »

I don't have problem with the explosion whiteout... Because I don't really have enough situational awareness at the first place.
Somehow manages through most battles tho, but with tunnel vision on.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 04, 2015, 06:08:21 PM »

I love the whiteout – it reminds me of Empire Earth's nuclear bombs.

The whiteout in Empire Earth hid everything for several near the explosion. If you had your camera a good distance away or moved it away, the whiteout would fade so you could see. A large number of nuclear bombers attacking could get really crazy with nigh unending whiteout.

But there was one big, key difference: whiteout in Empire Earth didn't cover the interface. You couldn't see your units, but you could still find them and command them by their health bars and such.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 04, 2015, 06:18:37 PM »

Maybe add a tickbox to either make shift a toggle or current behavior? Or add another key that does that, that I could bind to CTRL for example.
There already is a tick box in the settings tab
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 04, 2015, 07:34:05 PM »

There already is a tick box in the settings tab

No, this toggles the default behavior. I'm talking about something that would change the way shift works, from a push to activate, to a toggle.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 04, 2015, 07:39:34 PM »

Aaaaaaaand...it's out.
Nice.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 04, 2015, 07:43:22 PM »

Another hotfix is up, mainly for this issue (market procurement mission weirdness):
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=10134.0

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 04, 2015, 08:13:42 PM »

I started a new game for 0.7.1a. First impressions: If you've taken a faction commission, it's way easier to gain faction rep now. Instead of having to wait for a bounty, you can just go hunt down faction enemies. I unlocked destroyers from my chosen faction soon after I could afford to field them, which makes the transition from early-game to mid-game quite a bit smoother. I've hit co-operative long before I can afford the really big ships, which I think is good. It makes the biggest hindrance to getting a capital simply being able to afford the thing, rather than having them be locked behind a reputation grind. The commission also gives you something to do other than wait around and maybe do some trading when there aren't any active bounties you'd get paid for.

On the negative side, if hostilities flare up, you need to get hostile with the opposing faction almost immediately or you'll start losing rep quite quickly; I think it's about 5/month. I actually got dinged because I just couldn't find an appropriate target. Maybe have a 1 month warning/grace period? On the other hand, you can make that up easily just by killing two enemy fleets, so maybe the grace period isn't necessary.

The early game is still the most difficult part of the game so far, but at least it ends quicker now. I think starting the player with maybe another level's worth of skill points would make it less of a sinkhole. I'm also having a hell of a time finding any Ion Cannons. Nobody seems to sell them, they refuse to show up in salvage, and they're one of the best small energy weapons.

I agree with Megas about the Tachyon Lance. It just costs way too OP much for what it does now, and given that it has apparently attained mythical status in the sector, I'd prefer to see it buffed up to be on par with the Plasma Cannon rather than have its OP reduced. Beam Weapons in general are a bit underpowered, really, except for the Tactical Laser.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 08:38:42 PM by ANGRYABOUTELVES »

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 04, 2015, 09:48:32 PM »

@Tachyon Lance. Used while it is in the buggy state and oh hey, it is actually useful.
How about:
*Actual shield-penetration punch: Beam passing through the shield instead of buggy EMP arcs passing by the shield.
*Reduced energy damage: Maybe 1/3 of currently it is(otherwise it one-shots all frigates, shield up or not). Or any appropriate values that won't cause much armor damage to something bigger than a frigate or destroyer. With EMP damage adjusted or kept to be capable of disabling several weapon/engines.
*Slightly longer cooldown, more flux

EDIT: used fixed version. Seems it's useful on DDs or frigates anyway.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 10:13:19 PM by Aron0621 »

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 04, 2015, 09:51:03 PM »

So, before i go accepting a commission, one more question  ;)

If i accept one from the Tri-Tachyon, it will throw my rep to hostile with the hegemony.

Is there any way to ever possibly repair my rep with the hegmony?

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 04, 2015, 10:41:41 PM »

NICE. Can probably mark this thread as released now.

Plays nice. Still hard. But the commission is nice. Makes me feel less hopeless, heh.

I'm considering using the "suicide exploit" more in the beginning. One wolf is awesome, but two wolves is a bounty hunter fleet. And that hermes(d) must be pretty lonely in that station.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 39