Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 123

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Diable Avionics 2.70rc3 (2023/04/13)  (Read 1275737 times)

Outro

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.0a] Diable Avionics 2.00 (2018/11/25)
« Reply #840 on: November 30, 2018, 10:26:20 PM »

There seems to be a bug with the Rime; the Forced Burn Catalyst activates itself constantly.
It starts activated as soon as battle begins with no input from the player and then continues activating itself as soon as it comes off cooldown. Only way to "stop" it is to vent flux, which puts it on cooldown, after which it will activate itself again.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 10:29:20 PM by Outro »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: December 01, 2018, 12:00:33 AM »

I noticed, it seems the vanilla system AI it uses has changed and is now way too eager to burn itself into the enemy fleet. It's on the to-do list.

Outro

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: December 01, 2018, 01:32:37 AM »

It happens when I'm controlling the ship as well, so it doesn't seem to be an AI issue. Unless the AI has the ability to handle that even when I'm the pilot.

evilphish

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: December 09, 2018, 05:24:27 AM »

Small bug report. Using your mod under Linux, which has case sensitive file paths. A small inconsistency in your configs leads to starsector crashing on load because it can not find some resources from your mod. Inside your data/config/settings.json there exist the entries
data/config/settings.json:                "diableavionics_standard_package":"graphics/DA/icons/cargo/diableavionics_package.png",
data/config/settings.json:                "diableavionics_tech_package":"graphics/DA/icons/cargo/diableavionics_adv_package.png"

The actual path though in your folder structure has the da subfolder under graphics in lowercase, as do all other entries in your config files. Those two entries above should be changed to lowercase as in
data/config/settings.json:                "diableavionics_standard_package":"graphics/da/icons/cargo/diableavionics_package.png",
data/config/settings.json:                "diableavionics_tech_package":"graphics/da/icons/cargo/diableavionics_adv_package.png"

This way case sensitive OS' or filesystems will not complain anymore ;)

Thanks for the great mod!

cheers
Phishy

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: December 09, 2018, 05:35:43 AM »

Ah thanks, someone reported case issues earlier but didn't precised the files or paths... Fixed for next release.

Katsumi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: December 09, 2018, 11:53:06 PM »

A couple of years ago, I remember poking around in some thread on this forum where I found a bunch of recolors of the Diable Pandemonium. There was one in Knights Templar Colors, one colored like the IBB-Variant calm, and so on in that fashion. Being that the Pandemonium is my favorite ship in this or any other faction mod, I'd love to be able to customize and style it with those skins again, but for the life of me, I just. can't. find them.

Does anyone here remember those?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: December 10, 2018, 06:26:47 AM »

those pretty colors... it would be so cool if we got variants for the pandemonium based on them. that we could get in the game. 10/10
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Katsumi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: December 10, 2018, 04:50:18 PM »

There you go:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=4264.msg186802;topicseen#msg186802

Tartiflette, you are an amazing spriter, modder, gentleman (or... lady? Doesn't matter), and I bet your friends say nice things about you when you aren't around.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.0a] Diable Avionics 2.01 (2018/12/13)
« Reply #849 on: December 13, 2018, 03:35:11 AM »

Minor Update:

Fixed the Rime as well as some other tiny issues and balance quirks. The Frost wanzer shouldn't delete frigates anymore, and the Opfer has now some limited ammo to prevent it from completely negate shields.

Download Link in the OP

Full changelog:
Spoiler

BALANCING:

- Opfer Artillery:
   . Now limited to 600 ammo.
   . Reloads in 200 shots clips every 10s.

- Frost-class Wanzer:
   . Shotgun damage changed to Fragmentation from Energy.

BUGFIXES/IMPROVEMENTS:

- Fixed a few case issues for Linux users.
 - Fixed Rime-class system constant toggle.
[close]

Unreal_One

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: December 13, 2018, 05:42:00 PM »

So why did you change the IBIS from 320 flux per second to 180? It's still more FPS than any base weapon for the slot, but now it goes from insanely worse than the vulcan to merely ludicrously worse than the vulcan.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: December 13, 2018, 11:51:41 PM »

It is also a vastly supperior PD compared to the vulcan for dealing with missiles waving around due to their fancy cross spray pattern and long fading time.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 11:59:31 PM by Tartiflette »

Nts

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: December 15, 2018, 06:31:09 AM »

The IBIS is superior to the vulcan indeed, with its precise stream of bullets, its pattern, and 50 more range, giving it an extra moment to react to threats. But in the end it is still just an upgraded vulcan, their working principles are the same after all. The 160 flux you save can be put to much better use, such as firing another gun, or having more shield available to absorb a missed torpedo.

I let the AI take the Maelstrom for a spin yesterday to see how it would handle approaching a simulator Astral (All skillless and 70% CR). I removed all the fighters and missiles, maxed the vents, gave it 3 medium Recsons, a Mostro and a Raptor at the back. The hull mods included ITU, IPDAI, conduits, armored weapon mounts and turret gyros (the last two to mitigate random torpedo hits and to keep the PD firing). The 12 small slots left over were filled with either vulcans or IBISes.

Over multiple tests the choice boiled mostly down to picking your poison. The vulcans destroyed far fewer torpedoes and fighters and couldn't stop very many squalls, however the shield was almost always ready to take the hits. The IBISes shredded most of the ordnance, but the ship was often high in flux, often being  forced to shoot down the incoming torpedoes without raising its shield (it was close, but it managed, props to that). The IBIS ship suffered an overload or two as well, which meant eating more torpedoes than necessary. The AI seemed more comfortable with the vulcan setup, but in the end once the squalls ran out, both variants managed to close in and eat up the Astral, while sitting at around 30-50% hull.

But being dependent on only vulcan-type PD is not very reliable. Both variants let quite a few missiles through. They don't exactly delete fighters either. So I added 4 Burchels - 1 in the frontmost turret, 1 in the centre and 2 on the sides. Suddenly the ship could zap fighters and missiles at much greater ranges with much greater precision. It also ate up most of the squalls fired at it. And if the Burchels ran out of charges, the 8 vulcans/IBISes were always backing it up. With the vulcans it was smooth sailing all the way, with only a few incidental torpedo hits. The IBISes, however, continued to generate outrageous amounts of flux. On its first flight the IBIS/Burchel version jumped in too aggressively and got overloaded immediately. After a while it did so a second time and died. On the following tests it behaved itself, but it became very apparent that when paired with some Burchels (or anything that can compensate for vulcan-type weaknesses), there is little reason to use IBISes over vulcans.

So I wonder why the IBIS needs a flux cost of 180, why all this 'rebalancing'? It is better than the vulcan, yes, but not that much better. Both 'work' the same. Both work best when used en masse, but amassing the IBIS right now will land you in a world of hurt. Is it because of the firepower? 300 range doesn't make for a great fighting weapon, and even if it did, the vulcan is still there as a similar option. I certainly don't win my fights by running into someone's face with the IBIS. Then there's the Raptor, which does more damage and shoots much further, all for only 20 more flux. I don't win my fights with those either.

Why not lower the flux of the IBIS to 80-100. It's still much more than the vulcan, but it would reflect its power. It's also much more proportional to the Raptor and would not immediately flux out the ship when it flies into a swarm of fighters and missiles. I don't like sticking vulcans on my diable ships, they don't look right, but right now the difference is just too great to ignore.

A wall of text, yes, but it's my favourite mod, so I had to get this off my chest.

TL;DR Vulcan and IBIS behave the same, but vulcan looks ugly and IBIS sets my ship on fire, please fix.

Regularity

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: December 15, 2018, 12:01:28 PM »

Is it me, or does the Diable's economy seem kind of contradictory to how they are described?

The faction description describes them as a paranoid, militaristic, isolationist group. Yet they end up becoming the economic center of the galaxy due to planet Sivie's tons of AI upgrades and having the highest tier possible resource deposits. It seems extremely out of character for a isolationist and paranoid society to have very high market access ratings and freeports (i.e., lawless trading), and having hordes of foreign trading vessels enter their space every day. There's also the fact that despite Sivie's being described as being dumped with massive amounts of pollution, it doesn't have a pollution (+25% hazard) planet modifier, but instead has a net -50% hazard rating (better than even the most pristine planets in the galaxy).

From a game balance perspective, the maxed out upgrades on Sivie also sort of wrecks the local economy, since you can't compete with industries that are fully upgraded with AIs and forges. It also means there are never any trading missions for them despite how many traders visit the area.

I think it'd be much truer to the lore if Diable Avionics had much lower access ratings. That way it would be more self-sufficient and stable as per its isolationist outlook, without disrupting the economy of nearby areas. I know everyone wants their own faction to be the cool, super powerful group that smacks around everyone else, but the economic power as it is now seems a little extreme, in my opinion.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: December 15, 2018, 03:40:02 PM »

To me the issue is more that the vanilla economy is not working as almost all planets run with a huge deficit. Additionally the goal is to make Diable both a very tempting target for raiding (to farm Alpha cores and fancy blueprints) and very well defended.

Lastly, the lore of Diable will be changed in the future when I get around it.

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 123