Fractal Softworks Forum
April 26, 2017, 10:44:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Starsector 0.8a is out (hotfix is up!) ; New blog post: Ship’s Log of Salvage Dave’s Final Mission (3/29/17)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28
  Print  
Author Topic: [0.7.2a] Diable Avionics 1.71 (30/01/2017)  (Read 88448 times)
ANGRYABOUTELVES
Captain

AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADOME

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: March 24, 2017, 09:59:26 AM »

Finally got around to doing a Diable playthrough, so here's some feedback.

As Diable is neutral to pirates, they're a lot harder to gain rep with than other factions, as you don't get faction rep just from doing regular bounties. After I picked up the commission, I found myself sitting in Corvus with my transponder off, grinding reputation off of hapless Hegemony patrols to get access to the higher-tier ships. I don't think this is a good thing.

The Gust is a really good ship. It has performed far better than I expected it would from looking at the stats. There's a lot of things making it more survivable and harder-hitting than it's numbers might suggest; the ship system Wanzers have a good energy weapon and PD that work even when you're overloaded, it's small and narrow so it can avoid a lot of damage other cruisers would have to absorb, and the built-in Heavy TPC hits hard enough to break through cruiser grade armor. (Why does it do 5 EMP damage? Seems pointless.) Of course, being narrow means that a bad hit to one side can take out the armor on both sides of the ship, and the AWACs can be destroyed if you're careless, so it's not all upside.

That guy complaining about how Diable needed Safety Overrides because all the weapons are short range and flux inefficient has obviously never seen a Recson. And it's not like vanilla weaponry stops existing when you take a Diable commission; you can actually put HVDs and Heavy Maulers on the Haze. Amazing, I know. You really shouldn't be able to do that. You know what else you shouldn't be able to do? Mount a HIL on a Maelstrom. Cheesy

The Blizzaia is hard to tell apart from the other Wanzers. They're all hard to tell apart, but it's not much of an issue outside of the Blizzaia because none of the other Wanzers is a bomber. Bombers need to be visually distinct enough that you can identify them near-instantly at the maximum zoom level while they're surrounded by other fighters; Blizzaias are slightly differentiated, but not nearly enough. Diable colours are white and crimson, so I'd paint Blizzaias really bright white so they contrast with the dull crimson of the other Wanzers. This would also make the red Banish torpedoes stand out more against the sprite, making it easier to tell if the Blizzaia has fired its payload or not.

I'm pretty sure the Pandemonium should be more logistically demanding than it is. It's an excessive, unnecessary, enormous ship, with more OP than even the Paragon. I'd say it's worth around 55-60 supply/month, or 13-15 fuel/ly, something like that.

The animations are great, the sprites are great, the art design is great. I like how certain design elements keep showing up on the ships; the forward spike, the triangular armor plates, the rearward sensor antennae, etc. They help give the Diable fleet a unified aesthetic theme.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:04:02 AM by ANGRYABOUTELVES » Logged
DrakonST
Commander

Lizard-Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 09, 2017, 10:13:20 AM »

I don't think that you play quite a lot. Why nobody has mentioned this magic?  
I wait for everything when about it write. But nobody knows about an this opportunity to destroy phase ships.  

Personally I very much hadn't liked this fraction. Weak opponent(Fighters are the stuff living seconds. And there are no strong ships in the fleet.). Weak ships(They have weak armor, shield and PD weapons). Useless arms(Small distance, small speed of flight of a shell and insufficient damage).

"Phase jump" does the ships useless as a part of the fleet. They don't hold a formation. Jump not in the necessary party. Constantly because of it are developed to the enemy by a board.

By these ships of course it is possible to be at war. But only using arms of other mods. But in the real, heavy war they are useless. However also as SCY faction...    

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 10:18:41 AM by DrakonST » Logged

I a Russian. And i communicate with the help of Promt Translate. And I am a color-blind person.
a_strauss
Ensign

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 14, 2017, 11:19:52 PM »

Is the Pandemonium actually available to buy/own in campaign? I have seen it once in a defense fleet that I purchased but have never seen it for sale. I really really really want one
Phearlock
Ensign

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 14, 2017, 11:46:25 PM »

Yes. It is however extremely rare.
Sy
Admiral

View Profile Email
« Reply #394 on: April 15, 2017, 12:17:19 PM »

Is the Pandemonium actually available to buy/own in campaign? I have seen it once in a defense fleet that I purchased but have never seen it for sale. I really really really want one
if you don't want to have to keep searching for one, you could use the Console Commands mod to add one to your fleet directly (addship diableavionics_pandemonium). if you dislike the feeling of getting the ship through a cheat rather than earning it yourself, you could also remove a large amounts of credits in return (addcredits -1000000).
Harpuea
Ensign

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 22, 2017, 05:18:24 PM »

Hello Tarti.

tl:dr Since you are updating DA right now I am guessing, I highly suggest you add Wanzers that the player can pilot into your mod. In any case, it's your project and your decisions alone. Thanks for the hard work.

I have been playing for DA for a long time and I noticed some gaps in DA ship roles. I have plugged the holes myself by creating custom ships in my own game. Some ships are not gaps per se, but I saw that DA was seriously lacking ace type wanzers. The WHOLE game changes when you're a wanzer in a massive ship battle. I feel like I was playing Front Mission Gun Hazard 2 or Assault Suit Valken 2 or something. I much prefer the Ace Wanzers over the Versant even though they are super fragile compared to a frigate. No offense, but the Versant still  sucks as a player ship. It has little versatility and too much problems/cost.

Here are some examples:

Valiant ACE: A Valiant that the player can pilot with 10 OP for hullmods and a bit higher stats.
-Built in Weapon: Rapid Fire.
-It's a copy of Front Mission pilot skills. Fire the Cull in quick 10 burst shots with a 10 sec cool down.

Frost ACE: A Frost that the player can pilot with 10 OP for hullmods and a bit higher stats.
-Built in Weapon: Blast Strike.
-It's a powerful melee attack that can even push frigates off their stable course.

Recsys ACE: A AWAC Warlust that has a sniper rifle with 10 OP for hullmods and a bit higher stats.
-Built in weapon: Charge Shot.
-It's a charged shot. 3 second charging and extended range with high EMP damage on top.

Pictured here is the Recsys Ace. My favorite by far.

And I was using Extra System to upgrade them. The Mecha game feeling was great.

cjusa
Commander

Rudanjal Rom Mayan. RUDANJAL ROM MAYAN!

View Profile Email
« Reply #396 on: April 22, 2017, 06:10:59 PM »

Hello Tarti.

tl:dr Since you are updating DA right now I am guessing, I highly suggest you add Wanzers that the player can pilot into your mod. In any case, it's your project and your decisions alone. Thanks for the hard work.

I have been playing for DA for a long time and I noticed some gaps in DA ship roles. I have plugged the holes myself by creating custom ships in my own game. Some ships are not gaps per se, but I saw that DA was seriously lacking ace type wanzers. The WHOLE game changes when you're a wanzer in a massive ship battle. I feel like I was playing Front Mission Gun Hazard 2 or Assault Suit Valken 2 or something. I much prefer the Ace Wanzers over the Versant even though they are super fragile compared to a frigate. No offense, but the Versant still  sucks as a player ship. It has little versatility and too much problems/cost.

Here are some examples:

Valiant ACE: A Valiant that the player can pilot with 10 OP for hullmods and a bit higher stats.
-Built in Weapon: Rapid Fire.
-It's a copy of Front Mission pilot skills. Fire the Cull in quick 10 burst shots with a 10 sec cool down.

Frost ACE: A Frost that the player can pilot with 10 OP for hullmods and a bit higher stats.
-Built in Weapon: Blast Strike.
-It's a powerful melee attack that can even push frigates off their stable course.

Recsys ACE: A AWAC Warlust that has a sniper rifle with 10 OP for hullmods and a bit higher stats.
-Built in weapon: Charge Shot.
-It's a charged shot. 3 second charging and extended range with high EMP damage on top.

Pictured here is the Recsys Ace. My favorite by far.

And I was using Extra System to upgrade them. The Mecha game feeling was great.

I'm keeping this idea for a Macross mod in the future, if it is okay with you.

Very few problems can't be solved with gratuitous violence and epic explosions.

The worst earworm of any animated series: "Oboete imasu ka, me to me ga atta toki wo? Oboete imasu ka, te to te ga fureatta toki? Sore wa hajimete no ai no tabidachi deshita? I love you so." -Macross (Do You Remember Love)
Harpuea
Ensign

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 22, 2017, 09:42:18 PM »

No problem. I love Macross too. Try turning an existing fighter into a ship to experiment. I find that if the engines are taken out, you are immediately toast as a fighter. Keeping mobility is a must, so insulated engine is a must have to players' fighter craft.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 09:44:14 PM by Harpuea » Logged
Tartiflette
Admiral

Kickstarter is NOT a magic spring of free money!

View Profile Email
« Reply #398 on: April 22, 2017, 11:41:28 PM »

The Versant is supposed to be the player Wanzer: A high tier frigate but not a true "super-frig". I don't think there will be pilot-able fighters, too much issues in and out of combat, plus balance: Limited ship slots, too fragile for the AI, open to exploits, not properly handled by the AI autoresolve... (Also, that weapon is overpowered, it's twice as good as a Pulse Laser! If that's your baseline, no wonder the Versant fall short)

As for regular Wanzers, with FlashFrozen we are now headed toward creating wings of only one or two wanzers with long refit time, but buffing those to compete with regular fighters. Be prepared to fear the Raven again.

Orikson
Commander

Always Seen on Discord

View Profile Email
« Reply #399 on: April 23, 2017, 12:41:54 AM »

The Versant is supposed to be the player Wanzer: A high tier frigate but not a true "super-frig". I don't think there will be pilot-able fighters, too much issues in and out of combat, plus balance: Limited ship slots, too fragile for the AI, open to exploits, not properly handled by the AI autoresolve... (Also, that weapon is overpowered, it's twice as good as a Pulse Laser! If that's your baseline, no wonder the Versant fall short)

As for regular Wanzers, with FlashFrozen we are now headed toward creating wings of only one or two wanzers with long refit time, but buffing those to compete with regular fighters. Be prepared to fear the Raven again.

Oh my, I await the new revamped fighters and the other stuff too!

"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC
Buttery
Ensign

View Profile Email
« Reply #400 on: April 25, 2017, 02:35:34 AM »

Is it fine to use your wanzer models and weapon files as a base? I didn't use the exact sprites or anything, just used them to help build off of. I'll give proper credit as well.
Tartiflette
Admiral

View Profile Email
« Reply #401 on: April 25, 2017, 02:42:29 AM »

I saw your mechs on 4chan, it's fine with me and I don't think FlashFrozen will mind either. Plus it's not as if they are red... Keep up the good work, we need more mechs in the sector! Smiley
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 02:44:34 AM by Tartiflette » Logged

Buttery
Ensign

View Profile Email
« Reply #402 on: April 25, 2017, 02:48:42 AM »

Ah alrightie, thanks! I dunno, one might show up reddish at some point considering what exists in the IBO universe..
Tartiflette
Admiral

View Profile Email
« Reply #403 on: April 25, 2017, 02:50:56 AM »

Well it's not like we are currently doing a general overhaul of the Wanzers for 0.8....

whoopWHAT
Ensign

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: Today at 12:40:26 AM »

Speaking of the 0.8 update, how long do you think its going to be before the update drops? Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28
  Print  

Jump to: