Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Graphic glitches  (Read 2315 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Graphic glitches
« on: November 26, 2015, 02:02:47 PM »

Sometimes (I don't know when exactly) there flash before my eyes some green... Something, most likely bars. They looked like they are connected to capturing points, but once I've had a series of this glitch in combat without any points to capture, so it's not that. They last only a fraction of second, so it's not jarring, but once I've had... It was like I looked at a completely different (end empty) place on the battlefield (basically barring user interface everything became hyperspace background). It isn't distracting or jarring because when you realize you've seen it, it's already over, but still, what the hell? I don't attach any visual evidence because I'm tired already of hunting for it to happen with Fraps.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Graphic glitches
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 02:26:25 PM »

I often see a green triangle for the blink of an eye around the bottom left part of the screen when in combat. It started happening when I got this ATI R9 270X.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 07:55:39 PM »

Thanks for the reports. I'll keep an eye out. My initial reaction is "driver issues" but it could be an error in the code. If you managed to narrow down when it happens (or is at least more likely to happen), that could be very helpful.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 10:47:10 PM »

The flicker I get is fairly random, but it'll show up several times over the course of a gaming session. It's also harmless, I think. Once I had a dreaded 'green-striped screen of death' that required me to restart my PC. I'm pretty sure both of these are ATI driver related, but it never hurts to approach such issues from both ends. Starsector is after all the only game that has hard-locked the driver like this before. Probably, again, owed to the fact that it's OpenGL and the majority of Windows games aren't.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 08:18:50 AM »

I have an AMD graphics (R7 250X), too, so yeah, drivers are possible. So far I can't get what exactly causes this to happen, besides that it is combat-only and it is (mostly) UI-green. I'm going to play a while as it is now, look for any patterns and then download new drivers to see if that changes anything.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 05:05:12 PM »

Radeon R9 280x here; just adding that I occasionally experience flashes of white on parts of the screen.  It does not happen often though (I *think* it happens more often when i've been playing for a longer period of time).

I've just run the FAH 1.2 benchmark in which it passed the verified test...however that isn't really saying much, it indicates that the GPU seems to be good enough to fold proteins, but i'm not sure...perhaps this problem could be further down the GPU pipeline...perhaps a DisplayPort monitor connection, or even the monitor itself.

My gut tells me the problem is most likely on my end; however I thought to add my own observations just in case it isn't.