Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Emergency burn prevents additional supply drain from hyperspace storms  (Read 3732 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Not sure if this is a bug...

I noticed that storms cause my supply rise to skyrocket.  However, if I use emergency burn, supply use goes back down to a low number and stays there while the burn lasts.  Better to lose some supplies after the burn than to lose it all stuck in a storm.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency burn prevents additional supply drain from hyperspace storms
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 06:25:28 AM »

Storms drain your CR, and you spend supplies recovering it. Emergency Burn stops CR recovery, so it stops the supply drain at that moment, but you're still losing CR and you will still have to pay to recover it after EB ends.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 06:34:49 AM »

What I want to know is when I get caught in a storm, my supply use jumps from 20 to 40-something to over a hundred.  I use burn, and my supply use gets cut to some low number.  After I leave the storm and burn ends, my supply use goes back down to normal.

The fast supply drain is what concerns me most, and I burn out of the storm to stop my supplies from draining too fast.  Losing CR from storms is the least of my concerns if I run out of supplies first, which cause supply drain anyway.

EDIT:  If storms raise supply use, should emergency burn use more supplies in storms too, or is there some obscure game-mechanic at work (that the player should know about)?  The way it works now appears buggy because emergency burn seems to be an exploit to evade the immediate supply costs of getting caught in a storm.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 06:39:10 AM by Megas »

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 06:56:27 AM »

Storms don't directly increase supply drain at all. You're just paying supplies to recover CR lost to the storm. If you suspend repairs on all your ships your supply use won't change on entering the storm, try it. Emergency burn makes no difference, except for possibly getting you of the storm faster (which might or might not offset the CR cost of the burn)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 07:02:36 AM »

Okay, that makes the supply use as shown in and out of storms very misleading then.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 07:04:23 AM »

I think terrains that drain CR should also stop CR recovery. This would make them more significant threats (right now you can mostly ignore them if you aren't worried about supplies) and avoid this confusion.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 07:48:01 AM »

Though it usually makes sense to emergency burn through storms, because the CR cost will be mitigated by the reduced cost of being inside the storm for a shorter time.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 10:50:47 AM »

Guys, you're drifting into a discussion here. Please keep that to other sub-forums.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 11:04:46 AM »

Thanks for reporting this - fixed. Turning EB on was indeed preventing any additional CR loss from being inside a storm/corona.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 01:27:03 PM »

What I want to know is when I get caught in a storm, my supply use jumps from 20 to 40-something to over a hundred.  I use burn, and my supply use gets cut to some low number.  After I leave the storm and burn ends, my supply use goes back down to normal.

The fast supply drain is what concerns me most, and I burn out of the storm to stop my supplies from draining too fast.  Losing CR from storms is the least of my concerns if I run out of supplies first, which cause supply drain anyway.

EDIT:  If storms raise supply use, should emergency burn use more supplies in storms too, or is there some obscure game-mechanic at work (that the player should know about)?  The way it works now appears buggy because emergency burn seems to be an exploit to evade the immediate supply costs of getting caught in a storm.
BTW what is happening is Automated Repair unit is kicking in and trying to fix up your ships faster but since it only repairs FASTER and not cheaper, your costs look like they are skyrocketing!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too