Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [0.7a] Mod commodities mess up procurement missions  (Read 3914 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
[0.7a] Mod commodities mess up procurement missions
« on: November 28, 2015, 12:10:54 AM »

(For reference, Shard Reactors are only obtainable by killing Spire fleets. A 100 FP fleet gets you 2.5 reactors on average)

Several recommendations:
  • Commodity weighting in picking a random commodity for the mission should be something like sqrt(base price) * (current price/base price), not just base price
  • Base procurement amount should be divided by the commodity's utility in commodities.csv
  • While we're at it, maybe commodities.csv can have a column that says "don't put this in procurement missions" perhaps?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7a] Mod commodities mess up procurement missions
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 12:54:29 AM »

I had the same issue and I made a way to obtain them legally... It wasn't very immersing to have a faction post procurement missions requiring a custom commodities that is only dropping when themselves are killed.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 11:19:59 AM »

Oh, hey - it wasn't skipping commodities tagged with "nonecon", fixed that up. Does that resolve the issue? It doesn't sound like the commodities in question are participating in the economy (i.e. have normal supply/demand).

Also divided the target quantity by utility; good call.

Didn't change the weight calculation - at the time of commodity picking, the market isn't picked yet. There's a good bit of chicken-and-egg in the whole "let's pick a commodity, a market, and a quantity" already...

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 05:35:46 PM »

nonecon
Oh, didn't even know that was an actual tag. If you don't mind taking the time, what are its effects?

It doesn't sound like the commodities in question are participating in the economy (i.e. have normal supply/demand).
Well, the Shard Reactors have anything producing them or directly consuming them, but they have heavy machinery demand so can be sold for that purpose in most cases. (Likewise with the cloned organs from Shadowyards, and the Templar flux cores (rare metals) from Templars)

Didn't change the weight calculation - at the time of commodity picking, the market isn't picked yet. There's a good bit of chicken-and-egg in the whole "let's pick a commodity, a market, and a quantity" already...
True, but I was thinking you could do something like sample 5 markets at random for their supply:demand or price:base price ratios. This would also help vanilla by making more procurement missions for ordinary commodities (instead of drugs and organs most of the time).
Though I'd understand perfectly if you thought "this is getting more complicated than it needs to be"  :)

Well, if I can find a way to keep the custom commodities from being the only thing anyone apparently ever wants that's all well and good, else I'll just take them out. It'll be a shame though, a "kill the dragon and return with its heart" mission sounds like a fairly cool thing to have.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 10:43:41 PM by Histidine »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 10:33:57 PM »

Oh, didn't even know that was an actual tag. If you don't mind taking the time, what are its effects?

Commodities.TAG_NON_ECONOMIC -
The economy will skip this thing. Its price should always be the base price... actually, I'm not sure if you need to set price volatility to 0 for that, or exactly what the price will do if you don't. But the important point is the economy won't try to process supply/demand for it, or make sales of it, etc. So it doesn't add to the performance cost of the economic simulation.

It's meant for things like quest items, blueprint chips, etc.

True, but I was thinking you could do something like sample 5 markets at random for their supply:demand or price:base price ratios. This would also help vanilla by making more procurement missions for ordinary commodities (instead of drugs and organs most of the time).
Though I'd understand perfectly if you thought "this is getting more complicated than it needs to be"  :)

Side note: the reason for drugs/organs being the main thing wasn't the price weight, but the extra-stringent rules about what was ok to pick. Like, worlds with supply of something wouldn't spawn a mission to procure it, even if they were low on it. I've adjusted this a few days ago and there's a much more healthy variety of commodities being picked - rare metals, ore/rare ore, organics, etc.

Well, if I can find a way to keep the custom commodities from being the only thing anyone apparently ever wants that's all well and good, else I'll just take them out. It'll be a shame though, a "kill the dragon and return with its heart" mission sounds like a fairly cool thing to have.

Yeah, should be good now with the procurement mission skipping nonecon ones.