Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: 0.65.2a to 0.7 - Mod Migration Checklist  (Read 3188 times)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
0.65.2a to 0.7 - Mod Migration Checklist
« on: November 25, 2015, 04:12:11 AM »

Thought it could be useful to start a checklist for gathering / sharing information of the key things mod authors will need to do when moving from previous to current version.

It seems to be pretty painless, all round, but hopefully by collating all the relevant points we can make sure we don't miss out on the new cool things.

This will help me and hopefully others to try and ensure we capture all the key features, and ease the path for those yet to start on the migration process.

REQUIRED:

- Add a 'corona' dimension argument to all generated stars (system generation .java file)

- Ensure .faction file officer AI now implements the correct set of traits (some previous legitimate traits e.g. fearless are now unsupported by vanilla)

- Ensure .faction file includes a 'fleet doctrine'.

- Update generated system position so that it doesn't sit in deep hyperspace (not strictly required, but looks pretty rubbish if your system sits within a deep hyperspace zone)

- Update all your ships with new burn values. If you don't - your ships will be horribly slow. (This is now much more normalised, pretty straightforward adjustment)

- Give your faction the correct set of custom behaviours. Refer to e.g. pirates.faction or hegemony.faction for some key ones to implement.

- Replace supply/day with the new supply/mo and supply/rec values in ships.csv.

RECOMMENDED:

- Add terrain details to rings etc. in system to enable the game to recognise these. Refer to e.g. Magec for a sample.

- Think more carefully about terrain in-system, generally, to make the campaign travels more fun. Asteroid belts? Magnetic fields?

- Move any jump points away from populated planets, to give some room to sneak around. The L4/L5 points of the planet they were originally orbiting are good and realistic for the purpose. For reference, Jangala using the L4/L5 points for Jump Point and Comms Relay. Looks cool.

OPTIONAL:

- Add Nebula terrain features to your system(s) if relevant. Refer to e.g. Hybrasil for a sample.

- Pick a spot in the Modiverse.

- Reference music files in the .faction file.

- Dress up your system with more features. Solar shades / mirrors? Custom entities?

- Give custom portraits a black background, to make the officer thumbnails look better.

Thoughts? What am I missing?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 05:59:39 AM by mendonca »

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: 0.65.2a to 0.7 - Mod Migration Checklist
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 04:38:28 AM »

REQUIRED: Replace supply/day with the new supply/mo and supply/rec values in ships.csv.

RECOMMENDED: Move any jump points away from populated planets, to give some room to sneak around. The L4/L5 points of the planet they were originally orbiting are good and realistic for the purpose.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 04:58:07 AM »

Thanks, hadn't picked up on the supply one.

Also I notice e.g. Jangala has comms relay sitting in the opposite lagrange point to the jump point. Nice touch.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
  • Looking right into your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 05:45:13 AM »

This is very useful. Thanks guys :D

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 09:04:33 AM »

Thanks! That's a useful checklist. :) But I'm so out of the loop that I should probably just start from scratch.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 06:09:38 PM »

A couple of fairly serious recommended ones I just remembered:

Check your economy!
The throughput of a lot of market conditions has changed, dramatically in many cases. Using your previous set of market conditions could seriously destabilize the Sector's economy.
  • Ore and ore refining production has increased 4x (now 20k and 10k)
  • Organics production complex has increased 100x, and volatiles complex 50x (now 100k each)
  • A market with Light Industrial Complex now only produces enough domestic/luxury goods for its own size, not one size up (while using twice as much organics to do it)
  • Most planet types produce more food now: terran 2.5x, arid 3x, water 2x (and the limit has been increased 5x), jungle 3x, desert 3x. This means a single terran planet without food production penalty conditions can feed 5x its own population, instead of 2x.

Additionally the organics produced from farming has grown from 0.05 organics/food to 0.33.
  • Heavy autofactory makes 20% less supplies (15k -> 12k), but 4x as many hand weapons (40k) and 3.33 times as much heavy machinery (5k). It does require 10x as much organics now (10k).