Edit: The download links have been updated to point to a hotfix release that fixes a crash bug when clicking on an empty slot in any orbital station inventory.
Original blog post below.
First off – let’s talk about version numbers. The previous release was technically a “preview” of the 0.5a build “proper”, whatever that means. That was until I started thinking about how to version this “bugfixes & improvements” release, which still wouldn’t have all the features slated for 0.5a. 0.5a2? 0.5a-preview2?
I’ve had to sit through a few meetings with people arguing about version numbers at my various former jobs (seems like everyone doesn’t want to waste time with it, but also can’t stand doing it any way but theirs), and I don’t want to be that guy, especially not to myself. Down with the version number sophistry! This release will be known henceforth as 0.51a, and the next one will be… wait for it… 0.52a. I’ll just have to avoid specifying a version number when talking about planned feature sets, as I did with version 0.5a.
I’m sure everyone is quite sick of talking about version numbers by now (see what I mean? I didn’t want to waste time on this, and look what happened!), so let’s dive into what’s new in this version.
- Improvements to the command system – new escort behavior and tasks chief among those
- Ship balancing (slowed down some frigates, sped up most larger ships)
- Hull mod balancing (added downsides to some of the best ones, buffed some of the weaker ones)
- Added two new orbital stations (pirate & Tri-Tachyon), tweaked content progression
- Larger ships now need less experienced crew
- Re-worked post-battle surrender mechanics
- Improvements to ship and admiral AI
- Added several new medium-sized missile launcher weapons
- Lots of bug fixes
The new version is not save-compatible. My apologies for that – but as the game is still in alpha, maintaining save compatibility just isn’t something we can do yet. Also, at least some (perhaps most) mods will be broken, so you should disable them before playing the new version. On the bright side, the changes in this version mean it will be much, much easier for multiple mods to work together without conflicts.
You can see the full list of changes here.
Please download the new version using the buttons below. You’ll have to reinstall the game, but shouldn’t need to enter the activation code again.