Starsector (formerly “Starfarer”) is an in-development open-world single-player space-combat, roleplaying, exploration and economic game. The player is a space captain who can seek out fortune and glory however they choose.
Though it is in-development, you can purchase Starsector now at a discount to gain access to ongoing builds. Starsector supports custom content & mods and is available now for Windows, MacOS, and Linux.
- Pilot your ship in top-down 2d combat
- Command your fleet in tactical battles
- Gain experience and improve your character’s skills
- Detailed combat mechanics
- Customize your ship’s loadout before battle
- Explore a war-torn star system
- Mod support for user-made factions, missions, ships, and weapons
- Hire officers to give skill bonuses, pilot auxiliary ships, and oversee your operations
- Explore the sector for knowledge and profit
- Trade goods, run mining operations, build industries — and defend your interests
- Become involved in factional politics
The World of Starsector
The Domain of Man is no more. Their countless fleets and innumerable armies have been shattered and lost. The comforts of their civilization are a distant memory. Cut off from the Star Gate network and scattered in isolated pockets throughout the galaxy, humanity is trying to recover from the great Collapse.
The story of Starsector concerns a sector mostly untouched by the calamity that spelled doom for the Domain. For over 200 cycles, humanity has been losing its grip on civilization, and struggling desperately to hang on to what is left.
It is a time of frequent conflict, rampant piracy, and unsteady allegiances; a time of great profit for the few traders able to ply the old trading routes; a time of great danger and greater opportunity.
What will you discover in the ongoing development of the world of Starsector?
- Single player, gritty, dystopian sci-fi setting
- Classic top down gameplay style enhanced by modern technology
- A procedurally generated sector of the galaxy, seeded with well-known core worlds and factions
- Develop your character into a hot-shot pilot, a cagey admiral, an industrial magnate – or anything in between
- Outfit ships with your weapons of choice and add hull modifications to create crushing tactical combinations
- Explore hundreds of star systems to find habitable worlds, rich resource deposits, and lost technology
- Assemble a large, powerful fleet or a finely-tuned task force with hand-picked officers and crew
- Cripple core world supply lines to cause chaos and create easy prey for piracy or bolster the rule of law and try to reverse the sector’s descent into anarchy
- Impact the fate of the sector with your decisions and leave a permanent mark in the world
Some weapons found in Starsector:
Some ships found in Starsector:
Sounds neat, what now?
- Follow development of the game on the official Starsector blog
- Purchase the game at a discounted rate to gain access to ongoing builds
- Join us in the discussion forums and talk to fans and the developers – we’d love to hear from you!
- Check out more screenshots and videos of Starsector in the media section
- Drop by our unofficial IRC channel